Ankle problems. Screw moving up and down- help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone I just recently broke my ankle and got surgery June 12. I have to see my doctor tues June 26th for my two week follow up. However even though I can't put pressure on my foot which I haven't I feel like one of the screw move down when I get up to use the bathroom and back down when I lay back in the couch with my foot elevated? This is concerning me because I just stared feeling this I am scared that I mess up something. Does anyone had the same problem. Please help

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, this definitely does not sound right. I am glad you are seeing your doctor on Tuesday. Don't put any weight on your leg, keep it elevated as much as possible. It may be nothing, but until you are sure don't move around to much. Please let us know what happens.

• Posted

Go back to see a Dr immediately to rule out any problems. Note, you have had a break and surgery, it will hurt like hell for weeks. Every time you get up, your foot will hurt more. Keep up prescribed painkillers. Get a knee scooter. They help for safe mobility.

Find a hobby. Take a deep breath. Follow Drs instructions and physiotherapists instructions if you have one. I assume you have a cast or moonboot. Look for online videos if you're not sure how to use your crutches however, at this stage a knee scooter is a great option.

I broke my fibula 41 weeks ago. 5 months ago I had surgery, when I got 6 screws and a plate.

R.I.C.E. =REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, AND ELEVATION. Do this all day every day.

All of us on this site have had similar problems. Believe you me, it does get better.

Any worries, go to the Dr or Hospital.

Good Luck!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Thank you I will def take your advice. I have been resting and elevated my foot all this time which is why I'm surprise this is happening as I only get up to use the bathroom. But thank you I will contact the doctor

• Posted

Are you putting weight on your injured foot? Is that allowed with your injury? I had a plate and 13 screws installed (ORIF) and wasn't able to put weight on my injured leg for 7 weeks and it was casted all that time. I wouldn't have known if the screw was moving because of this. I'm now 22 weeks out and never feel the screws move and never have. 

• Posted

Hello patti

No I am not putting weight on it. I have a splint which is going to be removed on tues and placed with a walking boot. I actually spoke to my doctor and he advise that what I was feeling it wasn't screw but rather something inside the cast. He said that since my swollen is going down I am able to have more feeling. He also said if is not hurting me or bothering I shouldn't be concern. Wow I can't wait to be that far I am starting this journey and I can't wait to get back to being myself. I want to be able to run, Jump and crossfit like o use to before. But I know time is key

• Posted

Great to hear re. your doctor. Sometimes tight tendons and ligaments feel weird too. My PT said you will know when it is a screw because it will be terribly painful. You will run and jump and do crossfit again. It just takes a bit of time with ankles. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to even walk again and I just got a Fitbit today and realized just by doing normal walking around my house today, I did over 10K steps in a day (and never felt the least bit abnormal in any way, including going up and down stairs throughout the day). Hang in there....you will get there for sure!

• Posted

Glad you checked with Dr. My cast rubbed a lot, leaving Hospital to pad my heal and top of foot , and to regularly change cast. Moonboot rubbed too, so I had wadding to protect ankle.

Hope your journey gets easier and you can run and jump again soon. ?????????????????

Isn't this site a great support!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

That is awesome that you was able to do that many steps. Thank you so much for everything.
    • Posted

Hi there Patti, Daphne and PatientHolland.

I hope your healing is continuing.

3 weeks ago my Baker's Cyst Burst when my leg gave way. Agony as I probably told everyone. Sprained my broken ankle at same time. Bruising appeared around scar area. Scary. Also had pain in Cyst leg calf. Was told calf pain was burst cysts fluid . It would go. Knee is very weak, and calf pain wouldn't go. Got worse.

Went in for daughters basketball Tournament ( tiring, but fantastic experience for her) for 4 days in a row. Pain in calf getting up to 8/10 , usually about 7. Was making me feel nauseous. Yet again, I had no idea how my healing broken leg was going, as pain in other leg detracted.

Told my husband to take me to A&E , as I had reached my limit.

Nurse told me off, said it wasn't an emergency. I said damned straight it's an emergency, and no Drs appointments at my GP. Neither did we have money.

Had ultrasound . Checked for Blood clot. Negative!

Baker's Cyst burst, tick. Fluid reabsorbed tick. Yet.

Then...... shock horror

They found a torn muscle in calf deep inside. The reason i am in pain, and can't walk any better than a baby with a dirty nappy lol!

Went to Dr today, level 2 tear. 6-8 weeks more for recovery, but have to take it easy.

2 days after taking it easy, I can feel pressure, swelling and a few decent pains in broken ankle. Nothing serious, all normal.

I can now play my Ukulele again , after 3 weeks of not being in a good enuf frame of mind.

Ah, what's life without a few setbacks!

©{•×•}®

??????????????

• Posted

Tituscaby- What a bummer to have to go through all that. You poor thing!! It was smart that you pressed on the make sure you found out what was going on. You were very smart to take your well being into your own hands and not give up until you had answers! It must feel like such a relief to finally know what is causing that pain! Even though it is disappointing to have to allow more time for recuperation, and we all know how frustrating that is, it is better to know what was causing your pain and problems, so you can tackle this. It was just a fluke you slipped and reinjured yourself. I'm so sorry that happened, but things happen, as we all have experienced, that knock us down in life. The important thing is to not let this define us, to be tough, and take a day at a time and get well. You will get past this, especially with your smarts, good humor and strong will. Can you continue to be able to walk on the newly recuperated leg and be able to crutch and protect the torn leg? Hang in there....this will pass. Keep your mind busy. You will be there with us, this is just a bump in the road. This is not the big stuff, even though it feels that way right now. Being there for your daughter, even though you were down and out....that's the big stuff! You are a strong person and will be better soon. Play that ukulele gal and change the sad notes to happy ones!!

• Posted

Hi Tituscanby, I am so sorry you have had another set back. It must feel terrible knowing it's going to be 6 to 8 weeks more for recovery. Just remind yourself how far you have come and stay positive. You are really a strong person with a fun outlook on life and have been a great inspiration to many of us on this site. Hope you will soon be pain free and running around again. Keep smiling. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.