Ankle progress

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello 

I had an operation on 04.03.17 following a collapse as I suffered a broken Fibula & ankle joint.

The operation notes say - ORIF right medial malleolus & syndesmosis.

I have 3 pins in place - due to be removed sometime after the 30.05.17. 

2 days ago I had the cast removed & I am now in a walker boot & I am allowed to weight bare, so long as the boot is on - until the pins are removed.

I am not quite sure what I was expecting & maybe because I just really need to be better I am expecting too much too soon as I can't seem to apply very much weight at all without a great deal of pain and what seems to be fresh bruising appearing & I have reached a whole new level of frustration and feeling somewhat down!! 

I was just hoping that if any of you have been through or are currently going through it that you might share some of your experiences so I can gain a little perspective

thank you in advance 

Sharon 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm 7 months in following a bimalleolar fracture and have a plate and pins in place. Please don't be disheartened but it's very early days for you.

My walking has only just returned to normal without a limp, I have tendon trouble and I've struggled with the ball of my foot which became inflamed due to my wonky walking. Despite all of this I have improved a lot, the key to keeping your spirits up is to not expect too much too soon and look back a few weeks to track your improvement rather than a few days.

You will get there with every stage of your recovery, just keep going!!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I just wasn't sure what to expect so thought I would ask so I could get a better idea of where I should be & things to expect 

Sharon 

• Posted

I had foot surgery on December 28th 2016 and got my boot on Feb 7th 2017. I too was expecting to just put that thing on and walk but it took me a couple days to even be able to put weight on it. I held on to the counter and put small amounts of weight at a time. It really wa painful toput the weight on it. It has been 4 months since my surgery and I still have good days and bad. Finished PT last week but dr says when your feet are involved it takes up to a year for full recovery. Take it slow and just know that each day it will get better, I think everything you are experiencing in normal. Dont get frustrated . Dont know your age but I am 58 and I like to keep very active so I too got a little frustrated at not being able to do everything that I was use to doing. Hope this helps you a little. Wishing you a speedy recovery smile

• Posted

Hi

thankyou for your post it has helped a lot, I just needed to be able to get some kind of idea where I should be rather than where I wanted to be - if that makes sense smile

i am 39 & a self employed single Mum with 2 boys at home (12 & 5) while work is one issue I can't really do very much about I think my frustration is caused because of them & not that they cause it but because I really don't like having to ask them for help (or anyone else for that matter!) even though they have both been super stars! It's just while I'm stuck home then so are they. My youngest boys school has been amazing & pick him up & bring him home for me. I really can't thank them enough. I just feel like a bit of a burden at the moment. The Dr said they won't do PT until my pins are removed which won't be for 6 weeks after the pot came off - I know it's not forever but it just seems so far away! 

I keep sitting up right and gently leaning onto my legs to slowly add weight & try to get it used to a little pressure at a time & even though while with my Crutches I can't put much weight onto it I still make the leg move in the walking movements to try get my muscles and things moving again.

• Posted

I didnt start my PT until Feb 21st which was 2 weeks after I got my boot, which dissappointed me some but after I started Pt I realized why they wait. They want to give you some time to get weight bearing use to walking in the boot. The boot is a little awkward and you need to find a good shoe that is close to the same height as the boot so as not to throw your spine out of alignment. I had to go to chiropractor for that. Dont know if you have a knee scooter or not but that was my saving grace before I got the boot. I borrowed one from a friend and I honestly dont think I could have made it without it. I continued to use it even when I got the boot when my leg would get tired. You will be amazed at how much muscle strenght yu will lose after not using your leg for 6-8 weeks. My leg looked like a pencil. It has taken me 2 months to get the muscle back. It is all a very slow process but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Best of Luck to you.
  • Posted

I too am looking for answers. I have an office job and am wondering when the doc will let me drive and return to work. I broke all 3 bones in my left ankle and had orif surgery 4/20. I see doc for my first pistol this Friday. I drive an automatic transmission car so since this is my left ankle, they should let me drive soon, right? And when can I work? My employer acts like I should be back to work soon. Tired of being stuck at home
    • Posted

Hi Wendy,

I had similar injury and orif. It took 11.5 weeks for me to get back to work on a reduced work load and modified duty which allowed me to put my foot up and ice it most of the time. I went to work by taxi for 6 weeks, as I don't drive. 

Now I am at the end of the 5th month. I am able use public transport and walk more than a mile each time unaided. I am still suffering a lot of pain though.

I am getting all the hardware removed in two months of time.

By the way, I am 54 years old. I was very fit and active before the injury. I did hiking, rock climbing and distant running upto 10 kms. It is very frustrating for not being able to enjoy those activities. But doctor said I will be able to run again after 12 months.

Best wishes for your recovery.

?Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.