Ankle recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

2 months ago I suffered a broken ankle and leg. I had to have surgery with pins in my leg and ankle and ligaments in my foot reconstructed. My bones have healed correctly however i am unable to walk due to having my ligaments reconstructed. It has been 3 weeks since coming out of my cast, I feel like I'm not sure what to expect at this moment in time after having the reconstruction. Where my progress should be up to. Does anyone have any advice they can offer to help me get back walking quicker.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalia 

lim sorry to hear of your injury. Sadly I cannot tell you a fast way to walk sooner. Most here will tell you same. I'm 16 weeks and not walking yet, but I'm on the slow boat some are quicker. Once out of boot, I'm still in mine part time to stand and walk a few steps in my walker. Water therapy, Physio and home exercises. Have you started Physio. They can help you start the process. Keep your hopes high, all our goals here are to return to walking again. Take good care 👣

• Posted

Wow 16 weeks is a long time. I feel very frustrated not being able to walk. I have started physio and back again Thursday hoping they can give me some idea on how long it will be. Thank you very much hope you get walking soon
  • Posted

I am also 8 weeks down the line from a spiral fracture of the fibula and severe sprain to the ankle and foot so I can sympathise. Mine was a simple fracture so no surgery. I was in a cast for 2 weeks and then an air boot. I went back to see my consultant after 6 weeks as my foot and ankle weren't improving and was x-rayed which reassured me that the fracture has healed. He told me that the soft tissue damage woud take another 6 weeks to heal. Since then I have been struggling to walk even with a crutch as it is so painful. I started driving last week as because my foot is held straight it doesn't hurt but can only manage a short supermarket shop using the trolley for support. If overdo it, like yesterday, I really suffer the next day. It is very frustrating and I am amazed at how long the injury is takng to get better. So sorry but so far as I know there are no short cuts but I would go along with what the other posters have said and get to a physiotherapist asap.
    • Posted

I have been feeling the same I've only just started driving again today because I've been in so much pain. I hope your feeling better soon. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi.

I had a very severe ankle fractures with dislocation. I was walking unaided at 5 MONTHS post op. I am now post 7 months post op and still having physio and hydrotherapy each week. I started driving at 6 MONTHS post op. I'm not walking that well and can't stand or walk for long periods of time. I have however come a long way and have my good and bad days, with different amounts of pain.

You need physio to help with ambulating. Everyone has their own walk regarding ankles and no one can put a date on when you will be fully recovered. You will get there with time and patience. 🙂

• Posted

Natalie, so sorry for your injury. You are in good hands here, no one understands more than this group of people because we live it everyday. I can't advise you on walking, I am not there yet. I have been in a cast for 10 weeks and still have 2 more to go. I had several fractures, dislocation, ligament damage and severe sprain. These people have helped me so much with their experiences and encouragement.
  • Posted

I broke my leg and ankle requiring 3 pins at end of Sept 15  and had to demand physio as there didn't appear to be any urgency for me to be out of my cast and walking again. I've been having 30 mins pt initially every week, it has been reduced to 30 mins every 4 weeks, which in my opinion is not enough. I have e45 cream massaged and some balancing on a board. I walk with a bad limp due to swelling still present 24/7 and more prominent after working 10 hours a day. The key to recovery is pt asap and as much as possible, with regards to walking quicker, everybody recovers at a difference pace due to many factors. I would suggest joining a gym and taking up swimming.I hope you recover quickly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.