ankle recovery time for hardware removal?

Posted , 10 users are following.

hey, my name's George. I'm 1 month post surgery on my broken tibia and fibula. it feels great and is healing great. I was just curious for the long run of when I get my plate and screws out. I have 1 long plate with 8 screws in it and 1 long screw. I am wondering how/what the surgents do to remove the metal and hardware in my foot. do they re cut open my scar?? also, how long would I have to be on crutches for after the surgery, I heard it's not that long but some of these google searches are saying months. thank u for ur time

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi George.  I will be watching curiously to see what people say about this.  My ORIF surgery was in Canada and my surgeon's viewpoint is that the hardware will be permanent unless it is really bothering me.  If it does present a problem and I choose to have it out, he likes to do the surgery about one year later.  Since yours feels  really good after only a month, why do you plan on removal?  Is it advised by your surgeon?  My surgeon talked about surgery always having risks and is not keen to do it unless absolutely necessary.  So I figured I would assess in about 10 months to see if I will go for removal.

• Posted

my surgery reccomends it cause I'm only 15 years old. also my ankle healing is fine but occasionally I do feel the hardware if I move my ankle the wrong way I feel It pull and move and it send a huge shock of pain. but it doesn't happen that often

• Posted

Hello, Im on the same boat as you however only my fibula was fractured. I was advised to have the hardware removed on the 10th week post surgery so Im about to have my surgery soon and I will definitely  follow you on this 
  • Posted

I broke my tibia and fibula in June and had ORIF surgery. Doctor said unless the hardware gave me problems, it would stay in and not be removed.
  • Posted

Hi there George,

I had surgery January 2015, she took my screws + plate out November 2015.

Yes, she went in at the original scar.

Recovery time was not as grueling.  However, if I remember correctly, no weight bearing is only 3 months. ONLY 3 months! 🤦🏻??? Take Care,

Ali

Let me know if you 

• Posted

Hi George,

my surgeon told me from the outset that the hardware would be removed 12 weeks after my initial surgery. At least two of the big screws pinning my ankle will be taken out, the plate and shorter screws will remain. He will cut in on existing scars but not the entire length. He said it is walk in/walk out and will have little downtime - I will just need to manage wound healing.

• Posted

Hi George. I'm late to this post, but for what it is worth, and I am a grown adult, my dr said there would be no reason to take out my plate and handful of screws.

• Posted

I had a plate and screw put in my ankle 14 years ago recently broke it and had it took out I’m in misery rn they didn’t want to give me a boot crutches nothing said I should be able to walk but I can’t if it’s not load beating wonder why they didn’t tell me that 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.