Ankle replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi anyone here in uk had an ankle replacement ?

would like to hear any comments please on progress

thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy I'm here in the US and had mine replaced on the 14th of September just had bandage and stitches removed and everything is going very well. At this point I wish I would have had it done sooner lol. Was pretty painful first couple of days and now I virtually pain free for first time in years. Have to admit there was s lot of anxiety before procedure but try to keep positive thoughts you will make it through just fine. Research the net for good surgeons Hope this helps some

• Posted

Hi Elwood I had mine done twenty months ago, but it has not been overly successful, not really sure why. Have been back to surgeon several times.

it is along road, I do hope yours is completely successful . Please keep m posted, do everything they tell you and be patient. Thanks for reply, sorry I was a it confusing

• Posted

HI Wendy I'm sorry to hear that u r having problems. I hope things turn around for you. Try to keep positive I know easier said than done. Keep me updated. If you don't mind me asking which type prostecise do you have

• Posted

Had mine done twice. 3 years ago and again last Nov . This time I think it's worked.

• Posted

Hi Jill can you tell me what happened to the first one?

mine was done Jan 2015. Still painful very tight all around and still can't walk too far. I hope your second one is a success, it is not an easy thing to go through, it is quite a complex procedure. Keep in touch and good luck

• Posted

Wendy I sent a private message to you. I'll send my email address tomorrow cos this site keeps crashing

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I had mine carried out on 11th August this year at Southampton General in UK so you're not on your own.

I used to have terrible pain on the outside area of my right ankle as I was bone on bone due to osteoarthritis.

I'm now pain free in that area but I have very bad pain on my inner ankle as if someone has hit it with a hammer and then poking a very painful bruise.

I'm starting physio on Monday 3rd Oct so I may find out more.

I've got to admit that hearing others saying they are pain free, doesn't fill me with hope on mine ..time will tell.

Jeannie

• Posted

Hi Jean. When I say virtually pain free what I meant was the pain seems to be much more manageable now then it was before the surgery hope that wasn't miss leading. I am just 3 weeks into my replacement so time will tell. I honestly hope that everyone of us that have gone through this procedure have very manageable results I was not going in looking for a miracle just less pain. Good luck to everyone

• Posted

Hi Jeannie

you are very early days, I won't lie to you, it is a long haul. I had mine Jan 2015. I still have pain it is very tight all around it and very tight calves, which lends towards Achilles problem. Before I had it done I discussed with surgeon about fusing the subtular joint because that was always swollen from the arthritis, but he felt the new ankle would be OK. I am now not so sure, but I really don't want to go through another big op. I also had in July a ultrasound guided steroid injection, it did not work. A few weeks ago it felt much better I thought it had turned a corner, but now it is hurting again. Are you in a boot yet?  I really hope you  get on well. Please keep in touch Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

This is the 3rd op I've had on this ankle.

1st was Subtular fusion back in 2013 ..it sorted some problem on my left (inner) side of right foot as I was walking on my instep and my right heel stuck out at a 30 degree angle.

This overstretched all nerves and tendons on inner foot/arch area and squashed all nerves in the sinus tarsi so I was in constant excruciating pain 24/7 and no drugs touched the pain... unfortunately I'm allergic to morphine.

The fusion corrected the foot but I was then bone on bone on the outer bone and the ankle itself.

Plus having the fusion made it difficult to walk on even the slightest incline and to kneel on the floor on your hands and knees ( I used to cut my curtain material on the floor) is a no-no and it reverberates through your body when you walk/limp.

I then had an arthroscopy to flush stuff out and smooth stuff... didn't work ..., then had the injections ... didn't work, so this is last hope.

I'm now pain free on outer and in pain on inner.

Hopefully it's just bruising and/or swelling rather than implant pressing against medial malliosis

• Posted

Oh Jeanie what a nightmare. I do hope this works for you. I would like to keep in touch see how you are going on. I am away in ten days for month but I still get mail. When I get back I will give you my email address and if you like we could speak on phone, but please post on here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.