Ankle replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I'm 23 and 2 weeks post op... Anyone else have an issue getting comfortable??? I'm going insane with not being able to walk... I'm tired of sitting around

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

we all had the same feeling, if you have u tube or dvd player you can get chair exercises for your upper body and your one good leg. I have found the laying around makes it really hard to get my energy back so this way you will have a head start. Good luck and remember we have all been in your shoes
  • Posted

Well I am 46 and 13 weeks post op. 9 weeks of being indoors but once I got out of the boot I mobilised well. I am going in tomorrow to have the two syndemosis screws removed, once they are out i will be able to continue with more physio rehab.
  • Posted

I just came off 5 weeks of not being able to walk, so I completely understand! I was working 30ish hours a week, then I had surgery and was NWB for 5 weeks, stuck in the house, doing absolutely nothing! Color, read, watch Netflix, sleep...sleep a lot actually. It helps with healing (and boredom lol). How long are you NWB for?
  • Posted

Hi Amber,

I feel your pain, literally!

I am 5 weeks since breaking my ankle in 3 places, 4 weeks post op, ended up in A&E last week due to a blood clot in my thigh, and still have another 4 weeks in a boot.

I'm a very independent person and taking bad having things done for me but I'm slowly learning to take all the help I can get, I'm so sick of sitting around watching telly, usually such a busy person, I was naive to think I'd get out of hospital and be restricted but manage, how wrong was I?!? Trying to carry anything is a complete no, trying to wash, cook, do some washing, its awful and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. In fact it's making me lazy as it's so much hassle to do something so "why bother".

Please make sure you get plenty visitors, it's what's keeping me sain (not normally a lonely person, but my boyfriend left 2 weeks ago, so made matters worse) and take those offers of getting you out, even for just a cuppa, let people pick up your shopping or do some hoovering.

Now is time for you to heal. Sounds crazy but try downloading some meditation apps, wasn't a big believer but they're helping me sleep.

Hope your better soon!

Gabby

• Posted

Thank you... You sound a bit like me... I'm super independent, always have been... Drives my husband nuts... My son helps a little, he's only 2... He will make me watch videos with him or play with his train on my last and wrapped leg... Getting around the house is annoying... I crawl around on my knees

• Posted

Haha your little one will keep you busy! Can't imagine looking after a wee one with a broken ankle. My son is 13 and helps a lot, bless him.

I'm the most impatient person in the world, had it been a clean break, I'm sure it would've been 6 weeks in plaster and almost back to normal but no, never having broken a bone before, I had to do it properly and break it in 3 places! Don't do things by halfs! Aargh! So p*ssed off with myself, my surgery was postponed 4 times, so hacked off with that. But finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

It's crap, it gets you down. But I thank my lucky stars for great friends and plenty chocolate! x

• Posted

I have lots of help with my kids... My parents, husband, and the in-laws help... Luckily I've taught both kids to be fairly independent for their ages... Give my son his trains and he's good all day... Give my daughter food and she is content... My son helps with his sister, lucky for me he adores his little sister

• Posted

I am 58 and 9 weeks post op with calcaneal osteotomy with tendon transfer. Still cannot walk but just started to put weight on foot. I am on my way now to New zealand on cruise to Sydney. I can do exercises and swim on the ship so why stay home. Plus, i get all my meals, room service, see some new sights and have fun. No being able to walk is horrible but we have to keep our chin up and try to enjoy life. Things will get better.
    • Posted

That cruise sounds awesome... Maybe once I'm WB I'll go on one... I've never been on a cruise

• Posted

Can you buy, rent, or borrow a knee scooter? That will allow you to get around and do a lot. I was able to cook, do laundery, mop the floor, etc. (Of course, if you don't want to do those things don't mention that you could. biggrin)  My two year old grandson would ride on mine with me. I just got out of a cast and into a walking boot yesterday, after 6 weeks NWB. I use a walker instead of crutches but I find both of those options are more restrictive than the knee roller.

I did watch a lot of TV the first couple of weeks, but I'm not really a TV person so it got old. Comfort wasn't a real issue as I bought an elevation pillow and sat in a recliner, but the mental aspect was there.

Good luck. If all else fails just keep chanting, "This too shall pass."

• Posted

I'm waiting on my insurance to get one... But I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy one

• Posted

I was lucky to be able to borrow a good one. My doctor's office told me that insurancce companies don't usually cover the ones with steering. If you live in or near a city with a medical supply store you may be able to rent one by the month. That's what a lot of people I know have done. It wouldn't hurt to make a few calls and find out.

• Posted

My insurance said they cover... We are just waiting for the surgery to be fully processed to have them cover it... Right now they won't cover because until they process the surgery it shows we havent reached our deductible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.