Ankle Replacement Surgery

Posted , 196 users are following.

I would like to estabish contact with anyone who has undergone ankle replacement surgery and reflect a ittle on the aftereffects and the longer term prognoses for recovery and mobility.

Having undergone such an operation about 9 months ago I am currently coming to terms with a less than welcome (and certainly unexpected) imapct upon my life and mobility.

Issues such as lack of mobility, excessive swelling and cronic pain from the ankle itself but also from the toes and lack of sensation and feeling in parts of the foot are those I am facing and would like to know how other poeple have fared, both in the short and longer term.

16 likes, 848 replies

848 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my TAR 5 months ago at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle, UK. All went well with no complications and I was discharged a week later as ‘semi-weight bearing’. I was put into a moon boot two weeks later and was able to walk – tentatively – with sticks. This reduced to one stick a week later and no sticks by week 8 when the moon boot was dispensed with.

I had TAR because of an accident in 1988 which saw the onset of osteoarthritis within a year or so and eventual bone-on-bone pain which, by 2010 had become at times unbearable (at other times you would hardly know I had the condition) and was managed with painkillers. After I turned 50 in 2013, my surgeon acknowledged how debilitating the pain had become and agreed to perform the TAR.

5 months on now I have regular physio and can walk with a slight limp and – most days – moderate pain on the medial side. For around three to four months I suffered numbness and pins-and-needles across the top of the foot and in the big toe. This has almost eradicated now thankfully.

This is all rather relatively good news; however, some days (today hence my web research and finding this forum) I am in severe pain and walk very gingerly with a pronounced limp. The pain is intense down the inside of the ankle (medial). It is not in the same place as before the op (that was at the bottom of the shin in the centre where the foot extends from) and is different. It is more a constant ache with aching ‘spikes’ rather than the breath-taking burning sensation I experienced before. There is some swelling although this does vary depending on how much walking I have done the day before (never much walking in truth).

Balance on the replaced ankle leg is difficult and physio seems to be a really long haul in that each week I seem to experience a slight improvement but then seem to stiffen up again prior to the next week’s session.

Overall I am slightly disappointed that I continue to be in pain after 5 months and that the movement in the ankle is quite restricted still. My surgeon has said that there is a possibility I could look at having my Achilles tendon ‘cut’ but that is something for the future rather than consideration now.

I have to reserve judgement at this stage as it is still relatively early days but I remember that after the original (very nasty injury requiring screws and plates) injury I was in less pain after 5 months. Of course, I was a heck of a lot younger then and a bit lighter too (although the op has spurred me on and I have lost 30lb and am in relatively good shape now).

To sum up then: slight disappointment at this stage perhaps due to enhanced expectations (self enhancement as my surgeon has always indicated a steady path to recovery) but happier with the pain I am enduring now vis-à-vis the pain I had before the op!

• Posted

Hi Scott, I had my TAR 8 weeks ago at Rake Lane hospital. In North Tyneside and for more or less the same reasons as you. ( my ankle was seriously damaged in an accident 40 years ago. I managed until now when the pain on rising from resting became intolerable although, once 'warmed up' I could manage a 3-5 mile walk - for which I would suffer later. I was advised that with the bones grinding against each other they

would eventually fuse themselves so decided on a replacement. I am 8 weeks post op now with a general ache all around the ankle and numbness. Only using one crutch and sometimes none at home for short distances. 

Cautiously optimistic 😕

• Posted

Hi

I hope things are getting better, I'm 53 and had the replaement Nov 15. Balance is an issue for me but I'm working on the strengh in the foot.

Apart from that I'm fine, can move the foot almost as much as the good one and walk fine, very little pain - I've not taken any pain killers for about 6 months now.

Good luck I hope things get better soon

• Posted

Hi Scott am wondering did your pain get any better.. you sound similar to my experience I had TAR 4 months ago I'm still in boot and pain has become chronic I can barely put foot down. Doc has said he has no prob doing fusion if I want but to see how I am at 6 months. I don't want to wait if this is a waste of time I'm crippled with the pain and depression has set in because of it. thanks for your post

• Posted

Hi

I am a 51 year old male and  have had a TAR on 6 Oct 2014. My foot is still swollen a little bit but the rest is 100% normal. I am also a bit at a loss where comes to how much mobility and use I will eventually have of my ankle but going at this rate I am very optimistic. The chronic pain I had is gone and I only endure mild discomfort at this stage.  I can move my ankle pretty far up and down and would roughly say I am almost where I was before the operation in terms of movement. I can also walk without any support, although only for a while. What I have discovered is that one tends to walk to the outside with the foot with the damaged ankle before the replacement and this shortens the ligaments a lot. I now have to deal with these muscles and tendons that did not work properly for a number years. It is a painful process to stretch the ligaments and muscles and it is going to be time consuming but if you work hard on doing some exercises and if your operation was done correctly, you should end up with a good result. For me the key is rehabilitation and the more you do that the better the result will be. I am also not sure about a 9 month time period and where one should be by then. I will for interest sake report back from time to time for comparative reasons.

Another factor obviously is the type of procedure that was performed. In my case I  had the Zimmer Trabecular metal implant that is done from the outside of the ankle and from the front. It has less impact on the tissue and nerves. It's a pretty new procedure and not many people in my country has had it done. I live in South Africa. The bad part is having to have to deal with a broken Fibula (joined with a metal plate) as that is part of the procedure.

I also have a replaced hip for 7 years now, feels 100% the same as the other one. Maybe age does play a role where it comes to joint replacements and the younger you are the better your chances of full recovery.  I was 44 when I lost my hip.

Regards

• Posted

LTD:

I replay in this forum to you because you are very recent case of TAR, and I am just about to be a new case. However, all the cases reported I read here are important, and I have to say that I am not new to ankle chronic pain. About 12 years ago I had an ankle surgery (sports related) that essentially "gave me arthitis" in the process. Ever since the procedure I have pain/stiffness in my left ankle, which is aggraveted by constant swelling around the ankle joint. I have so-called wheater induced pain, I can tell when a storm will come some three-four days in advance, not a pleasant way to become popular among friends. I am just about to turn 60 yo and I've got to the point to quit being a human barometer, but I know well that the ansiety of having yet another foot surgery can be troublesome.

I am here to seek encouragment, I know many people have had bad experiences with TAR one way or the other but I think if we have humble expectations and be prepared for a realively long recovery from the surgery we may overcome all issues.

I don't have yet the detais on the procedure, but my doctor says it might be beneficial in my case (I already did MRI and now will schedule a CATscan), just that right now I have butterflies in my stomach thinking about the expectations. I will return to this forum and report often, hopefuly with good news for all.

Best regards,

• Posted

You nailed it in your second paragraph Gilbert - it's all about setting your expectations correctly and being patient. I'm seven months post and, after fretting initially about slow progress, have now accepted that the recovery takes a good bit of time.  Each week a feel a little less discomfort. 

My surgeon told me last week that as the dynamics of the ankle has changed, the weight redistribution has meant that the medial side is growing bone to take the weight. This, apparently, is where the pain eminates from as the new nerves in the fresh bone settle!

Stick with it and be patient!

Scott.

• Posted

I have so much appreciation for what you are going thru Gilbert. I never had surgery in my ankle simply because I was told that to fix my ankle they will have "almost cut my foot off". I went to the surgeon who performed my hip replacement and his words were "your ankle is a gonner". I guess that all made me realize that I had only one of two options left, either a total fusion of my ankle or a TAR. In my case I decided to explore both options and I went to a surgeon who specializes in ankle surgery in Cape Town. He examined my ankle..usual x-rays etc. and then we sat down and discussed my case. He tested my ligaments and basically all the function’s in my ankle and came to the conclusion that there was really nothing wrong with my foot except for the one worn out joint. At the end of our discussion I asked him one question "If this was your ankle, what would you have done?”. His reply without any hesitation was..TAR. That nailed my decision right there and then.

What I am trying to say is that not all ankles are suited to be replaced and it may especially be true in the case where one has had previous surgery which may have had an effect on the ligaments etc. From what I gathered with my surgeon is that for TAR you actually need a very good stable ankle. One must remember that there are three joints in your ankle and only one gets replaced. If the other is in good nick, then you will benefit much by having the one worn out joint replaced. Obviously the opposite is also the case if you have other problems in your ankle as well. One thing you must make sure of is that your surgeon must know TAR very well and he must be able to perform it with great skill. In terms of what prosthesis to choose, I was scheduled for a Tornier Prosthsis and a couple of days before the surgery the surgeon decided to use the Zimmer Trabicular Metal prosthesis. It cost almost double of what I was quoted for the other one but he said that I was more suited for the latter prosthesis and I went with his decision. Looking back, I am glad it was done from the side as having a wound in front of your foot must be very uncomfortable with the movement and stretching of the muscles when you walk….but I am not an expert and I in no way suggest or give any advice in terms of the pro’s and con’s as far as the different procedures and prosthesis’s are concerned. I only speak from my own experience.

It’s now just past 7 weeks and I am back at work. I don’t wear my moonboot anymore. I try to walk as normal (foot forward) as possible but I only manage small(ish) steps but hoping to stretch them soon. I do my exercises and it is accompanied by a little bit of pain and discomfort. I drive our automatic car and I walk with about the same limb as before…but this time I know it’s going to get better and not worse. I don’t have any of the pain I had before and I sleep very well. I used to suffer from “still pain” at night when I was sleeping….nothing of that. Does it come with challenges?. Absolutely yes. I had some signs of a reaction which looked like infection on the surface of my wound. I had to take a course of antibiotics for it. At this stage I do have a possible recurrence of it but I am keeping an eye on it. Nothing to worry about the surgeon assured me as it does sometimes happen when the dissolvable stiches inside starts to dissolve your body attacks it. After 6 weeks I had x-rays taken and everything is 100% in order….good news.

I hope this helps and if you have doubt, maybe you can get hold of a second opinion. That is what I did and it made a huge difference.

• Posted

Dear Scott,

Thanks for your kind words. Speaking in retrospective, my last surgery (which I consider a bad one) was also a long recovery, I remember being about eight months to a year of pain and discomfort, particularly during major change in weather. Today the weather is still an issue for me, and the swelling also is constantly there. My mobility has always been compromised, since childhood in fact, so I am no stranger to it, but against all odds I actually regain strength and returned to sports - karate (call me crazy!) and achieved a brown belt level. I do not do contact sports or running anymore but still do bicycling which does not cause me any problem. in 2012 I completed MS (multiple sclerosis) 150 challenge from Houston to Austin and I felt very proud about my contribution to the cause.

I believe human beings can achieve quite impossible goals, if one sets the mind and believe it, despite of any disability. Today I have other goals beyond athletics, essentially I want to remain healthy and moderately active for the rest of my existance, and I just hope that this new procedure will not be an impediment to all.

• Posted

Dear LTD - your case is a great inspiration to me. I've been postponing any decision about another ankle surgery for the very reasons you point out, namely doctor's opinions about failure over success - you would not believe the bizarre alternative suggestions I had in the past, not worth mentioning here - but my current doctor inspired me the confidence in the decision for the TAR. I am learning from you some new terms on the options refering to prosthesis and I intend to ask my doctor as well before the procedure. I also will ask him to describe exactly how the "cuts" will be done in my case, thank you for illustrating to me.

As for the expectation to be back to work, I also consider a 7-week period an acceptable time. Before this forum the recovery time notion was just a cloudy one. My surgeon express confidently that "it will not be long" but again I will make sure to discuss further with him.

I understand and am prepared to accept one thing about my case, that my foot mobility may not change much from what it is now. My highest expectations though are that the struggle with pain (I do sympathize with "still pain at night") will decrease and impairment to walking will improve somewhat afterwards, if I gain these assurances I will consider a major victory!

My regards and the best of recovery to us all.

• Posted

A quick update from me.

It has been about 15 weeks now after my TAR. The last X rays were taken 7 January 2015. My surgeon saw it and he is satisfied that all is well and in place, except for the healing of the Fibula. That bone is still a long way from healed and there is a pretty big gap between the joints where it was cut thru. The metal plate is keeping it pretty well in place. According to my surgeon this will heal in time, so I am not too worried. I will be a liar if I say that I don't have any pain though. Walking is still not as easy as I have hoped it to be by now, but maybe I am just being impatient. Most of my pain is around my ankle and the joint itself certainly is painless. I have an appointment with a biokineticist this coming week to start rehabilitation. I am convinced that the pain originates from the tissues and ligaments surrounding my ankle and not the prosthesis itself. I have walked for many years with my foot to the outside and that has affected my ankle tissues as well as the ligaments.  I hope with  some treatment and the right exercises the ligaments will loosen up as well. I don't have any of those "still pain" spells at night anymore and I can walk, sometimes with a limb and sometimes almost normal, but my ankle gets tired quite quickly and it hates uneven surfaces. I have also had a build-up of liquid in my leg and when I wear socks for instance, they tend to press a deep ring around my leg. I am being treated for the condition now.   I am now having problems in my other ankle as well. It means another 1000 km trip to my surgeon soon unfortunately. At least not the same problems  with the as the first ankle, but I will need keyhole surgery in my other ankle in future also. 

For now I am hanging in there and I am back at work, climbing three storey’s every day up and down.

Regards

• Posted

LDT -

Just little over a month after my TAR. Like your case, my doctor was very pleased with the result and told me to start PT right away, which I am doing now for the past three weeks, combined with home exercises. I am curious to learn how your prothesis "looks like", when I saw my X-Ray for the first time I was surprised by how small it looks inside my new ankle joint! It extends just about 1.5 inch or so from top to bottom, including both titanium pieces and the "plastic" bearing in between. The Ti pieces were screwed in, but I barely notice them.

As far as pain and swelling, I think we are equal (swelling and liquids) and the pain is very minimum, more like a discomfort around the surgery area. Now the stiffness bothers me quite a lot, then again I always had a pretty stiff achilis tendon since previous operations, but I am working hard with my PT person to stretch what I can. At this time I can step on and put weight on the foot, but still wear a hard boot and have to sleap with another ligher one just to keep the foot from bending forward. Other then all this, I am very optimistic for my recovery, I know it will take time but I already had my mind and spirit prepared for this, and I encourage you to be patient as well.

As a last note, sorry to hear that your hospital is so far away (mine is just about 10 km!), I think I just got lucky to find the right place and the right doctor so close. I now commute to work regularly, and I use a "knee walker" to move around the house and in my work building -this has been a tremendous help! but definitely would not work for climbing stairs, unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi Gilbert

I hope this is of any help to you - my 6 weeks Xrays. Very small pieces of metal indeed. 

Regards

Leon

• Posted

oh, I see, you do have a broken bone too...that's why you have the other piece. But the ankle protesis is similar to mine, and I don't even notice the screws there, it looks very good!

Let's keep in touch in our recovery, I think we both will have a lot of good thiings to contribute to this forum.

All the best,

G.

• Posted

oh, I see, you do have a broken bone too...that's why you have the other piece. But the ankle protesis is similar to mine, and I don't even notice the screws there, it looks very good!

Let's keep in touch in our recovery, I think we both will have a lot of good thiings to contribute to this forum.

All the best,

G.

• Posted

Hi

I am glad you also think it looks great, my ankle has been feeling rather good the last couple of days too. There is no screws attached to the prothesis itself, only to the plate that keeps the Fibula in place. I went for the evaluation at the biokineticist today. According to him there is 100% movement in terms of the angles I foot can manage. We are starting our progran tomorrow evening. We are going to strengthen  my  leg as the main origin of the discomfort comes from the ligaments surrounding the ankle and they in turn are connected higher up in my leg. So! it's back to the old gym room for me now. 

I will certainly keep in touch with you thru this forum.

Regards

Leon

• Posted

Just adding more today, about 1.5 months after my TAR, my doctor told me to "loose the moon boot", a good news for me since I could not stand it! I am now wearing normal shoes (wide form sneakers, rather) and PT is becoming more aggressive, that is, beyond focus on range of mobility of the ankle. I have no pain! around the TAR reagion, I only suffer some discomfort due to stiffness and swelling. I do more exercise than the therapy sessions, my doctor approves that initiative. All in all, I am happy for my decision to pursue this surgery, just the fact that I no longer have "wheather-related pain" is a blessing. Doctor said the swelling and stiffness unfortunately is part of the process, I just have to exercise often to regain mobility and slowly the swelling should diminish as well.

My next challenge - back to road bicycling! but in due time cool.

• Posted

Hi Gilbert-grapes, i have a smilar problem with bone grinding on bone. i had a car accident 35 years ago in south africa. orthopedic surgeons advised in those days that i will always have problems but ankle replacement was out of the question as it was still a very new procedure and they advised that i hang on and try and cope. i lost weight, used prescription drugs and later years in the 90's before emigrating to the UK went for cortisone injections. still my surgeon advise to hang on, he would try his best to prevent a fusion (as some other orthopedic surgeons suggested) or a replacement as he said it was still far from perfection. he studied a lot in America and Germany and went for regular seminars but insisted the world is not ready for total replacement without any problems, and i see now he was right reading through this blog. my problem now is that i have severe osteoarthiritus, i have had 3 cortisone injections in 6 months and it seems to only keep me pain free for about 5 weeks. The surgeon i see advised fusion, which my surgeon in SA was fighting against, but is now seriouly thinking of either fuse it or TAR. I have to see another surgeon in London as my surgeon says he dows not perform TAR. i don't know which operation to decide on and reading all the reviews on this page confused me more. i also consider to maybe have the operation done in South Africa. my family live in the Cape province which will make it little easier for me. can you tell me how long after the operation were you allowed to fly back and who was your surgeon and which hospital? that will be a great help.  thanks from confused😒
    • Posted

Dear Olivia,

I must point out to you that I live in the US and my surgery was done here in quite a local (but excellent) hospital called Memorial Herman, in Katy, Texas, a near suburb of Houston. I am not sure if it is appropriate revealing my surgeon's name here, but I do anyway because I do have great trust in the person as a professional. His name is Dr. William McGarvey, you can google him and find out more about his medical profession.

I think you know exactly the whole history, as time went by the procedure of TAR became way much better. If you follow our stories here you will probably notice the results from all recent TAR patients and be able to learn the difference from past experiences. I am a total advocate for the modern TAR! surely the recovery is slow but the alternatives (fusion, living with pain) are far worse!

If America is not a deterring stop for you to South Africa, I would recommend a consultation here. Houston is not a glamorous city neutral but we certainly have excellent hospitals! 

All the best in your health progress.

G.M.

• Posted

Hi Olivia

I am from SA and had the same problem in my ankle as well as with my local surgeon not being able to perform TAR operations in Bloemfontein. I went to Cape Town and had a consultation with Dr. Jason Crane. I asked him one question after the examination of my ankle.."If this was your ankle, what will you do?" and he replied "Replace it" and so he did. I was down there last week for a follow-up. My ankle is not perfect...yet, but Dr. Crane was very happy and impressed by the progress so far, I have almost 100% movement and fixation etc. It's only going on 6 months and I have much less pain than what I had before the TAR. I can recommend him to you as I have practical experience of his capabilities. I just could not face the idea of a stiff ankle ...my story is on here somewhere and having a replaced hip also made my decision a little bit easier I suppose.

Regards

Leon

• Posted

Hi Leon, thank you so much for your story. It gives me more hope now. I would like to stay in touch to follow your progress. I felt so down again today as I am not sure what to decide. I am sure I will go and gave it done towards the end of the year as I believe there is a lot of after care needed and I have my family over there that can assist.

Best of luck with that hip of yours and happy Easter.

Alta

• Posted

Hi Olivia

We can stay in touch, no problem with it.

I was referred to an Orthotist by my surgeon to try and correct my ankle's angle with an inner sole for my shoe. I am actually ending up two of them, one in each shoe. I was amazed to learn that these practitioners can actually do a lot with their knowledge of the joints and how to place your foot in a correct walking position. It rather made me wonder where I would have been if I went to this particular person ten years ago. Maybe he could have preserved my ankle by spreading the weight evenly thru an insert in my shoe/s years ago?. Much of our problems starts with old injuries but it get's compounded by us walking the wrong way and in the process damaging cartilage and precious bone tissue. According to the Orthotist, I will have to learn to walk correct and do a lot of exercise's that he gave me. It's all about getting the lines straight and not letting the Achilles tendons "shrink" .

In retrospect, if I had a choice now and if my ankle was still in tact ..even only sort of, I would have been 100% behind the Orthotist trying to correct the ankle without surgery. One should investigate every avenue of treatment before going for surgery, that is my opnion.

Regards

Leon

• Posted

Hi Leon,

Now I just passed my third month since my TAR procedure. My expectations surpass my frustrations, in the sense that I keep optimistic about little (I do mean little) improvements that I note every day. I feel like 95% ok. I stopped PT at the hospital and continue exercises on my own. Ankle stiffness and swelling still persist as my worse burden, plus minor discomfort/pain while walking. I dicovered that going downsteps on staircases is the most cumbersome move I do. The other day I tried to put on my longneck rubber garden boots and discovered that my foot does not flex downward enough to pass through the neck! so I had to do garden work on my regular tennis shoes.

All these little discoveries make up for my little frustrations, then again considering not living with major ankle pain is the main reward to me. Therefore I keep my optimism high, and I just wish I could do more to gain further mobility. I know now I cannot be better than before (mobility wise), at least I want to be equal.

Regards,

Gilbert

• Posted

Hi Gilbert

I am glad you are ok and hanging in there.

I have much appreciation for your little frustrations and I have come across many of them myself. In a sense I think I am fortunate though in that I really have 99.99% movement in my ankle, painless non-bearing. I in fact have more movement than what I have in the other ankle. I also suffer with a swollen leg (water) but my surgeon said it will clear up in time. I have a sock that I wear, pretty stiff one and it helps to keep swelling to a minimum. Sometimes I can walk normally and sometimes my ankle is just plain common painful....especially on rainy days. Fortunately where I live, rain is not something we have often so that is ok.

I work on the 3rd floor and no lift available here so climbing stairs up and down has become second nature to me. I agree, getting down stairs is a bigger challenge than going up. I tend to climb “flat foot” down stairs using the middle to hind part of my foot. Climbing up stairs actually renders me the opportunity for some exercise using the front part of my foot and stretching the Achilles tendons.

I am awaiting inner soles for my shoes and from what I have read on the web, they make a huge difference so bear that option in mind also.

I am on 6 months now and progress is really slow, but every day is a blessing without that pain I suffered for so many years before the TAR. That is a relief and I also appreciate that a lot. I can walk much easier than what it would have been with a Fusion so I am way past the point where I had doubts regarding whether I made the right decision or not.

Regards

Leon

• Posted

Hi Leon,

Always a pleasure hearing from you and know of your progress. The mobility problem was something I already had prior to this surgery, in fact since childhood when I had my very first achilis operation. Everything went downhill ever since, I admit mostly due to my own ingnorance and not doing proper exercises and PTs. For that, my tendon today is as stiff as a broomstick, lots of scar tissues or fibrosis enveloping the achilis area, so I could not possibly expect any mobility improvement beyond what I was and that is that.

Regardless, today, just like you, I feel blessed for my TAR results, no regrets at all here, also a great change in attitute and respect for my own body is what keeps my spirit up. 

Best regards,

Gilbert

• Posted

HiHi Gilbert

Good to see things are well with you.

I am on a mission lately to see if I can get as much as possible "normality" back in my ankle and that entails a change in attitude as well as lifestyle.

I am doing exercises early in the morning now and it really makes my ankle more tolerant for the rest of the day. I have found the two most valuable exercises to be the one where you fold a towel into a thin(ish) shape (8 fold in my case), hook it in the middle with the front part of your foot and pull on both sides. This really stretches the Achilles tendon to the limit. The other one is where you place your foot about 60 mm from a wall and then bend your leg forward trying to touch the wall with your knee keeping your heel down on the floor. I could not get near the wall and now it’s easy and I am actually moving my foot 10mm backwards. Takes some patience though but I can feel the results. I am very fortunate in that I have not had any form of surgery prior to the TAR and although my tendon is shortened by not walking correctly, I am positive that I can reverse the situation in time doing the exercises. I also use a silicon band for resistance exercises to the sides or my ankle.

I am still waiting for the inner sole’s at this stage but I am hopeful that they will also assist me by aligning both my ankles in a normal position and thus placing less stress on the prosthesis when I walk.

I will report back when I have the sole’s in and let you know how/if they make a difference…hopefully a positive difference.

Regards

Leon

Gilbert

Good to see things are well with you.

I have also gone on a mission lately to see if I can get as musch as possible "normality" back and that entails a change in attitude as well as lifestyle. I am doing excersizes

• Posted

Hi Leon

As I posted previously I had my TAR on 3rd December 2014, so maybe time for an update.

I now have no pain whatever in my foot and ankle when walking on flat ground, albeit I still lack the flexibility needed to walk comfortably up and down hills. My biggest problem has been the incidental loss of muscle  mass and strength resulting froom three increasingly inactive years preceding TAR, and confinement to a cast and boot for 7 weeks during recovery. This is most noticeable in the affected calf which lost 20cm in diameter and was almost bereft of any muscle definition.100 tiptoe lifts each morning and night (whilst cleaning my teeth!) helped restore my calves quite quickly, but thighs and buttocks remained a bigger problem, especially for a man of 240 pounds. 

However, last weekend I stayed on my feet continuously for 4 hours to walk a total of about 4 miles on mixed ground including up and down hills and finished none the worse for wear. In fact, I feel the expedition has greatly improved my strength and flexibility.

So having used the elastic straps for weeks I feel it is now a question of putting my ankle to normal use to complete my recovery, which I seems to me to be good progress less than 5 months after such radical surgery.

Good luck to all

Best

John 

• Posted

Hi John and Leon,

My TAR procedure was just little less than one month after yours, like you, no joint pain anymore but I am feeling some sort of "fatigue strain" as best as I can describe, around the joint I think due to tendon stretching excercises I am doing. I stopped PT at the hospital but continue on my own. Also like you, I loss muscle mass in my left calf, but this was from my childhoot first achilis surgery (8 weeks cast!), a tremendous lesson learned to anyone who for some reason is forced to keep immobilized for too long - muscles rarely return to original form. Even today (I am 60) I cannot do  lifting on my toes, or stading on my heel over an edge (stair case), I do not have that muscle to sustain my weight.

Leon described his routine for stretching, here is mine 1- In the morning I go to the staircase, use the rails for support and do similar stretch excersices. bending my knee and ankle in "Z" forward, then after elongate the left leg back (now the right leg makes the Z) and stretch further the left achilis. 2- standing on ball of feet over the staircase edge and holding rail I do (my best attempt) 20 liftings, then do tendon stretch by pushing my left ankle down and holding for 30 seconds each time. 3- walking down steps (right foot first, in my specific case) and then climb the steps backwards (left foot first ) - always holding the rail for support. This routine takes me about 20 min. to complete. At home, while watching TV on the couch, I use a strong elastic band wrapped around the ball of the foot and do ankle flexing. I also use a towel in the same fashion as John.

I really enjoy having this conference with you guys, I think it is helping all of us to overcome our common difficulties. Contine sharing the grace.

Gilbert

• Posted

Hi Gilbert and John

I am glad to see you all are doing much the same type of exercises. At least we know we are on the right track!.

At work I have three storey’s to climb, Monday to Friday so I do my “stair’s” exercises sort of on my way to the office.

I also have varying kinds for pain in my ankle and always when load bearing. No pain in a resting position. My gait is very close if not 100%. Maybe it has something to do with the weather, I don’t know but when we have rain on the way I have a more sensitive ankle (and hip). I also suffer rather quickly from that fatigue feeling when I put on too much stain on the joint. This is one thing I hope will also improve in time so that I can have a bit more stamina. I went to the beach when I was in the Overberg region a few weeks ago, really suffered on the uneven sandy beach and I opted to sit and look at the waves instead of walking on the beach. That is very unlike me and it made me realize that a TAR does come with certain limitations, although I like to think its all temporary at this stage.

One has to put in as much as possible in the first year and that will determine how much (or less) of a normal life you lead for the foreseeable future.

Leon

• Posted

Dear Leon,

From another old beach boy, my sympathies in regards to uneven grounds! Way before, when I had the other operation which actually bogged my ankle down and gave me athritis, I remember the uneasy feeling trying to walk on soft beach sands. Other similar issues when travelling to Europe, street cobblestones! It is a whole learning process once we have ankle ailment. Now since my TAR I tend to refrain from walking over uneven surfaces, which is a very difficult thing to avoid depending where you go. The worse for me still is climbing down steps though.

I truly hope that I will see some evolution into this TAR recovery period, speaking of mobility. That will be a bonus to me, since the main reason to go through the ordeal was to be rid of joint pain - ditto accomplished.

G.

• Posted

Hi Olivia - I had TAR 21 months ago.  I spent two years prior trying to figure out whether to have an ankle fusion or replacement.  Fusion came with the probability of arthritis in all the joints that would compensate for the altered gait that would come with fusion.  That sounded bad.  In thinking about replacement, I was told again and again, have it done by someone who's done a lot of TARs.  A lot of them.  and when you find a doctor, read everything you can find out about them.  Ask a bunch of questions.  I was lucky.  I live in North Carolina, near Duke Hospital which has an orthopedic depatment with a few doctors who specialize in this surgery.  My doctor was Dr. James DeOrio and I believe the sucess of my ankle can be attributed to him.  At almost 2 years since surgery, my ankle is not perfect; we will never be put back together like we were orginally.  But I can walk and I walk my dog a couple miles 3 - 5 times a week.  I try to protect my ankle by not doing any impact excercises or sports.   It won't last as long as a knee replacement, but medical devices are always improving and I suspect that when some part of my replacement needs replacing, there will be an answer.  By the way, I'm 63.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Mary, thanks for you feedback regarding TAR. I have been to the ortopedic surgeon on Wednesday and cancelled the forthcoming operation in June, that would have been a fusion. I just could not come to terms with that. At the moment I will carry on researching and look for the best surging possible to carry out the TAR, but I also do not feel ready for that. I might wait until I retire in 18 months time as I am still very active, going to gym 4 times per week and keen gardener. I will have to get me emotionally and psychologically ready for it but I know that is not now. I walked with a lot of pain for many years and I guess I can still do it with the help of painkillers and injections as much as I am allowed to have. I know it will have to be done at some point but definatelly I will then agree to TAR and not a fusion.

Many thanks and regards

• Posted

Ta for your exercise tips Gilbert-grapes. I'm 8 weeks into my TAR. I think it's going ok. I'm on the 'crutch or no crutch' phase in the house. General low level pain.

Getting onto those exercises tomorrow tho.😉

• Posted

Dear Robin, I've been posting a little sparingly here but for all that matters now, full 8 months later, I am doing fairly well after my ankle replacement. Major issues are swelling and some stiffness around ankle area - I keep saying here that I have my own old history of issues, so keep in mind that every case is unique - I just finished another long section of PT, I was told that "I reached a stable state", meaning (again, for my case) my ankle mobility gain is what it is. That does not mean that I have to accept and stop hoping for progress, that would not be me. So, I keep doing my stretch exercises daily and as often a day as possible. I cannot run (also couldn't run before) and my gait is still a little awkward, but I keep forcing myself to adjust as I walk, it becomes part of my daily living.

All in all, I do not have any regrets. I do not have the chronic pains from before, I can travel and work without fear of weather changes, and I keep my excercise routine almost religiously. 

Best Regards,

GM

• Posted

Thank you so much. I am looking into this surgery now. Trying to prepare myself. I injured my foot back in 2002, my life fell apart. Now my right side is taking the blunt of left side not working. Talked to doctor last week and not go back Thursday to see what he says. I had to do an Mri, vascular test and lab work. I am so nerves but I am so tired of all this daily pain. I keep gaining weight because I hurt so much and don't feel like doing anything. My foot is in the hands of this doctor and the Lord. I hope and pray this works for me
    • Posted

I understand your concerns and hope all goes well with your procedure. After that is all about "work for recovery", stay on track with the doc's recommendations and you should be fine.

Blessings,

GM

• Posted

Wow - I was told that when they do this they add the metal strip up the sides and when i saw the medical office at work a few weeks ago was told that i MUST also have them - I don't have those just the 2 plates you can see in your x-rays.

Having said that I'm so happy with whats been done and I feel fine. 

• Posted

Hi Olivia. I was wondering how you are doing now?  As it's been over a year since you posted here, have you managed ok without an op?  I am in your situation now and I don't know what to do. 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi.  I was wondering how you are doing now with your Zimmerman TAR.  Realize it was 3 years ago.  I may be getting one done in the next month or so and I've read so many negative results.  Thanks so much.  I'm 56, Female, very active, bone on bone arthritis.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.