Ankle replacement surgery: Trouble with

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had ankle replacement surgery the 5/6/16. I was wondering if anyone that had this surgery had any trouble with their incision? Mine is real red and oozing and itching really bad. Just wonder if this is normal.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've had two ankle replacements now and didn't have this problem. Contact your surgeon directly or his secretary and ask to see him ASAP. You cannot risk an infection getting into the implant. All the best, Gill xx

• Posted

Thanks Gill. I went to doctor today and they clean it, took off dead tissue and put skin graph on the incision.

How are you doing with your replacements?

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I'm on my 2nd TAR in the same ankle. The first one didn't work sadly as my bone didn't grow into the implant. This time it's great and I'm nearly 8 months post op. My leg is still a little weak and sometimes I have discomfort but no more pain. I hope you will be as lucky with yours. I'm told I can expect to continue improving for up to two years 😀😀
    • Posted

Hi Gill, my ankle is doing really good now. I'm sorry you had problems with first surgery. I didn't know you could still heal up two years. I have no pain at all exceot for incision burning. It feels so odd, I was in pain for such a long time before surgery. I have no muscle in leg from limping for such a long time, so I need to get muscle back. I am so happy with the outcome. I wish the best with your next surgery. 😊
  • Posted

Go to your emergency room immediately. You need treatment.

Good luck, let us know how you get on?

• Posted

How did you get on Rebecca17835?
    • Posted

Hi and thanks for being concerned. I just seen my doctor and they had to take all dead tissue off and put a grahp on the incision, put me back on Levaqiun again. I hope I'm on road to recovery now.😊

• Posted

So pleased you sought help Rebecca and I hope you heal quickly now xxx
  • Posted

Great news Rebecca. Thank goodness you are getting sorted out. 😁
  • Posted

I'm new to this site.. I'm in the states.. I had an ankle replacement in 2001 ..it will take time to heel.. hope you have great success with it.. I'm just having issues but not sure it's in my ankle.. might be tendinitis. . I'm in a walking boot for a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.