Ankle replacement v ankle fusion.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has made a choice either way.

I saw the consultant yesterday and i have 2 weeks to make a decision. The other option is to do nothing. I am 59. 

I was initially attracted to the fusion procedure as I think it makes more sense for me. However, I am slightly put off by the fact that I would not be able to walk on the ankle for 3 months, whereas with the replacement option you can start using the ankle almost immediately. I also note that there have been only14 ankle replacement operations in the last 3 years in my part of Kent so it's relatively new. That worries me. I am fairly active. After the op I would like to get back to being more mobile although I accept I will not be able to do extreme sports! 

Have you been through either procedure? Was it a success? What do I need to think about? 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The main reason I went with replacement is because after researching all the information a fusion limits mobility more than the replacement and arthritis can grow in other parts of your foot after the accident arthritis was what most of my pain was from it took over and I was constantly swollen and in pain it's the reason I lumped for 6 years they did surgery to help with the arthritis but it came back even worse within 6 months that is a debilitating pain so when I was told it would come back with fusion I went with replacement and also I had no ankle movement because mine was shattered and had metal in its place fusion would not get movement back for me so far I am happy with having no pain other than the nerve pain which is not my ankle. It is a hard decision everyone has a different need but after 6 years of pain and swelling and barely walking either is a better choice than this pain.

• Posted

It's really tough isn't it.

I wasn't suitable for replacement due to how much my ankle had crumbled. There was too much dead tissue and blood vessel scarring from when I severed my foot.

I hope the replacement works for you.

• Posted

Hi debi

ive got until 21st Feb to make a decision. My Main worry is that I have my daughters graduation in LA on 19th June and ive already booked my flight. if I had the op in March would I be ok for my holiday in June?  It might be a bit early. 😀

• Posted

Hi it's been 10 weeks since my surgery and I am now in a boot and walking at 100%. I go on the 16th and I'm hoping I will be walking without the boot that day. I don't know about the fusion timeline but the replacement would have you in a boot by the time of her graduation but you should be at 100% weight bear I have flown on a plane when I had my boot on it was fine but maybe you will be just out of the boot by then. I also had an extra 3 weeks with a hard cast because they saw a hairline fracture that happened during my surgery so that usually doesn't happen but I had a lot of damage from the original accidental I think if you have it in early March you should be fine maybe in a boot but maybe not. Ask you doctor what he thinks. That's great she is graduating congrats

• Posted

Thank you debi. I'll see what the consultant says. It's great that you are walking normally after such a short time. My only worry with the replacement is the longevity of the device. I still haven't made my mind up though yet. Every time I name my mind up I read something else to swing me the other way. It's no hard!! 

• Posted

It is a hard decision he told me it can last 10 to 15 years but he also said it depends how I take care not to overdo. Just do things in moderation. I am amazed how quickly I am walking again and the recovery wasn't painful I got off the morphine in a week. If I have to redo it in the future then I will. My 2 main cornerns were mobility I had nearly 0 after 6 years my damage was very bad I wanted to be able to walk normal and walk the mall again go to a wine festival replacement would help me with that and no arthritis that pain was what kept me from enjoying my life and the swelling from it. He said with fusion it won't grow back in that spot but could in other areas of my foot that was not acceptable for me. I know I went back and forth too but I seem to have accomplished what I wanted better movement no pain and walk with a limp. I will be careful not to overdo I use a wheelchair in the airport instead of all that walking and will only do one or two events a month. I want to get as long as I can with this implant. I hope you make the right choice for you I'm here if you need to talk. Debi

• Posted

I meant walk without limp. Lol
    • Posted

Your surgeon is not likely to,have warned you about the possibility of Osteolysis but it is something to be aware of. This is thought to be caused by microscopic wear debris from the poly component the prosthesis that effects some people.

I had my total ankle surgery four years ago and it seemed to have been very successful but in October my surgeon told me at my annual check up that the surgery was failing and would the prosthesis would need to,be removed...ouch and a different one installed if that is possible.

The alternative if possible now is an ankle fusion but having smelt the coffee I would feel cheated by the idea of a fusion though actually this might be the most sensible solution! I should just add that I'm a fit 75 Year old but not looking forward to the surgery or the recovery period again.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

No I certainly have not heard of osteolsys. Another term to research. Thanks for this. Im sure the technology is improving and one would hope that if you have to go through the procedure again you would get an improved model. However, as the recovery is so drawn out I so hope that you can avoid more surgery. I think the fusion is more tried/tested which is why I am thinking this might be best for me as I am very active. 
    • Posted

Hello

Thanks for your posting. Osteolysis is known to be the reason for the failure in all artificial joints I understand that one is lucky or unlucky and that is how it is at the moment. What is bad is that surgeons generally do not explain the risk when discussing surgery. Have a read of total ankle replacement on their web sites.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I should have said that Osteolysis is ONE of the reasons for the failure of artificial joints.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

My consultant steered me clear for that reason too and possible hairline fractures as the implants can come loose.

I really wanted to have a replacement but sadly I had to have the bottom on leg bones sawn off and ankle bones used to graft with my foot as my ankle had rotated almost 60 degrees and foot dropped. My ankle had then crumbled and fused together so I have not walked for twelve years properly. It was just too rubbish to consider the implant. I'm 38 and fusion was my only option. However I am totally amazed at the results so far and still have full foot movement.

• Posted

Super news, well done! Very glad that your surgeon was up front with you. Cheers Richard
  • Posted

I had triple fusion done Sept 13, 10 weeks in hard cast, 4 weeks in weight bearing boot and then with an arizona insert in shoes. I healed very quickly and the arizona boot I am to wear until March 30 and hopefully after seeing Dr I will have inserts. The whole process was more than I had expected but with just a slight limp and hopefully soon none it will all be worth it. But Dr states it will take up to a year, to get all muscle and nerves to reconnect and get good circulation. So hope your discision is a good one and your recovery goes well.
  • Posted

Oh and I am 70 so recovery will always be alittle longer with age
    • Posted

It seems recovery is a very long process for you. That's not good news. I do worry about dvt. Did you have to take anything to thin your blood?. Also I worry about my baby who isn't going to get many walks. 

• Posted

I have clexane injections everyday to keep blood thin. I also do leg exercises everyday and get up regularly to keep moving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.