Ankle sprain. Cant use crutches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I sprained my ankle 2 days ago at school. When i got home i iced it and rested. This morning i woke up and it wasnt that painful but when i got onto my crutches the pain was terrible. The same thing happens when i use a walker and leave my injured foot hanging so as not to put pressure on it. Does anyone know what could be causing this. Also this morning there wasnt much swelling but now the area is pretty swelled up and looks abit blue. Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes it may be broke. I thought I sprained mines. It was two days before I went to the doc cuz the pain was getting unbearableĀ 
  • Posted

Shehzaad,

Sorry about your sprain. It sounds like you have a serious grade sprain with possible ligament and tendon damage. You should not be putting weight on it now!

Seek the advice of an ankle-aware physician as soon as possible. The doctor's x-rays will rule out the possibility that you suffered bone fractures in your accident.

Your doctor will also advise you on proper care protocol for your sprained tissues, and advise you on when to put weight back on the ankle-- not to mention when it is safe to resume your normal activities.

• Posted

Thank you kpower. I've done the x rays. The doc says its soft tissue damage and I should try to walk but its been a week and still no improvement. I attempted to walk yesterday but the pain has gotten worse. At this point I think it'll be best if I get the x rays done again.

• Posted

Shehzaad,

Further x-rays won't reveal anything more than the first set did. X-rays usually show nothing about soft tissue damage. An MRI or ultrasound are indicated for soft tissue imaging.

If you still can't walk without pain and it is not improving you need to get better medical advice. My guess is you will also need a CAM boot to protect injured tissues until they start healing.

• Posted

Hi. Had a ultrasound done 4 weeks ago. Turns out my ligaments were torn. Been in a splint for 3 and a half weeks now and now in a boot. Ankle is unsteady but hopefully healing. Thanks for the advice👍

• Posted

Do you think i need to start with a few light exercises to restore range of motion? Been immobilised for about 3 and a half weeks now. Doc says it needs 6 weeks to heal. Thanx again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.