Ankle sprain for three years (+failed surgery)

Posted , 4 users are following.

In March 2015, I sprained my ankle while playing football as I twisted my foot inward (somehow). I tried walking but it was painful. At the emergency service I was told that a cast would not be required, but my ankle was swollen severely 6 weeks later, and my foot was blue. Only then was I given a cast for 6 weeks. With months of physiotherapy. I felt better but not perfect, but I started playing football regularly.

In April 2016, I twisted the same ankle (outward) when playing football (these were all Grade II sprains). This one felt much more severe as I could not stand up and was in severe pain. I was given a cast immediately for 2 months and a boot for 2 weeks before I could walk. I took around 20 more sessions of physio, but my foot was not feeling good bc of the pain i felt when walking and especially running. There is mild swelling all the time but it increased sometimes. 

In August 2017, I had to undergo ankle arthroscopy since nothing seemed to be working for me. It was expected to fully heal within a month, and at least 6 months. Despite plenty of physio and the doctor informing me that my ligament healed, my foot still hurts and I do not know why. It pains a lot when I run and mildly when im at home

I feel very disappointing that I have missed so much time to play football, especially when all my friends are playing. 

Thanks to anyone who has read this. 

(P.S. - I have taken 3 MRI scans, a ultrasound and multiple X-rays since the first injury)

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hmm wow that’s a lot. I broke my leg three weeks ago (slipped on ice). Found out I had multiple fractures and had to get surgery. I was in so much pain for about two weeks and had to keep my leg elevated could barely do anything(still can’t but in less pain)

So I think I’m in a position to say I get where your coming from with everything sucking and not being able to do what you actually want to do and missing out on all the action with friends and family😞

Anyways some advice; have you tried taking some supplements for your bones or muscles? Also, I think you should really just not do anything(football or running) maybe that’s why it hurting, you may be stressing your leg.

I don’t really know much about these stuff. I do know that it can be hard and can take a toll on you mentally so I encourage you to take care of yourself and talk to people. Having people supporting you really helps. You always have us in these forums too. Goodluck😊

• Posted

I haven't taken any supplements but I'll try that. Also, I stopped running or playing football since my surgery (8 months) but its not getting better. I hope ur alright now I'm sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope you gws. Thank you for responding it means a lot! 

• Posted

Hey Blake,

Thanks for your story. It shows you had to go through a challenging ordeal, but your unstated message should be clear for others with ankle sprains:  your ankle health and mobility should always come first. Our sports and activity passions should be subordinate to that.

It sounds like you received appropriate treatment after your first severe sprain. For many with the same injury perhaps returning to a demanding sport was not a problem. However, you had the bad luck to be set up for another severe sprain during sports just a year later.

I suspect the first sprain never healed completely and compromised your ankle, and made it susceptible to the next injury. That is sad.

Why your ankle still hurts and is not back to normal even a year after arthroscopy is a bit puzzling. Perhaps the surgery did not fix all the problems, or perhaps the surgery inadvertently caused additional nerve damage.

I hope you continue to receive first class medical treatment and are back on road to full recovery soon.

• Posted

Hi Kpower thanks for responding, 

Just to clarify my initial treatment was not adequate. I was given a cast 6 weeks after my sprain, but as you said, it was most likely the reason for the second sprain. 

We believe that there is something else wrong because according to the latest MRI, the ligaments have healed after the surgery but there is still pain, which aggravates when walking, standing for too long or running. 

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, it means a lot to me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.