Ankle sprain fracture - Posterior talar process fracture

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, i got some ankle issues and need help.

I sprained my ankle (4 months ago) real hard and fast playing basketball, I couldn't put a bit of pressure on the foot for a few hours. Inside the back of the foot hurts during plantar flexion.I have this injury 4 months. I have done some research and I think it is a Posterior talar process fracture or a Fractured Steida's Process. The image below shows exactly where it hurts during plantar flexion. I found the image on google and it isn't my xray. How long will it take for it to heal and will it need surgery?

http://posterng.netkey.at/esr/viewing/index.php?module=viewimage&task=&maxheight=300&maxwidth=300&mediafile_id=513951&201305112333.gif

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I agree with Carol.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Good luck and hope you find some answers soon. 

Beth

• Posted

I agree I'm by no means a doctor but it doesn't look like it will heal on its own.

Just knowing a doctor looked at no matter what he tells you would have to be peace of mind, don't want to make it worse.

• Posted

Well it's not getting better as it should. Time to seek a 2nd opinion asap.

Are you having physio? If so what is physios opinion?

I had a snapped Fibula that didn't heal. Non union 100%. I had surgery 5 months later. I should have been more proactive. Had a bone graft too.

Get answers asap.

Healing easier once appropriate diagnosis and treatment received.

Good luck!

@(*+*)@

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.