Ankle Sprain hurting after 3 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago. I tripped over something and rolled my ankle. I could not walk on it for about 12 hours, but when I woke up the next day I could walk enough to move around. I decided not to go to the doctor because I thought it was just a sprain. I stayed off it for several days, and then started back working out. I run 10-12 miles each week. Weeks later, and my ankle has started hurting. It also hurts up my leg a little. I can still run and work out, but it hurts the most after or when I am not exercising. Every morning when I wake up I can barely walk on it. The swelling and bruising is gone, but it hurts right above the ankle bone. 

Any ideas of how long this pain could last, and if I should see a doctor? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes. See a doctor.  I fell on ice on January 10th.  I thought I sprained my ankle.   Two days later it was still swollen so I went to doctor.  Saw a physician's assistant who sent me for x-rays.  He told me I broke it but it didn't look to bad and he didn't think I would need surgery. But Ortho has final say. I was sent home in a walking boot.  I went to ortho 4 days later. By then I could walk on the foot and had very little pain. I was shocked to learn that I broke it in two places and it was dislocated requiring surgery.  The break was bimalleur which is two breaks on the bone on the side of my ankle.  I think the reason it stopped hurting was I stopped walking on it and the location of the break is the part of the ankle that isn't used as much.  

Good luck to you. I am 5 and a half  weeks post op and just started weight bearing protocol. So I am ahead of the game. 

• Posted

I think you should see a doctor...probably torn ligaments..but you need medical advice on how to treat it. you may be risking ling term damage if you continue working out without knowing for sure that it safe for your ankle to do so
  • Posted

Kaysie,

Hindsight is always 20/20, and you probably should have seen a competent foot and ankle doctor immediately after your accident.

The fact that you could not walk on ankle immediately after injury indicates a possibly severe sprain, with or without fractures (just because you could walk on it a day later does not mean no broken bones-- people unknowingly walk on broken bones too often).

Better to play it safe until you get a thorough work-up and evaluation by the medic-- if it were me I get myself in a CAM boot (aka air boot) ASAP and stay off that foot until you get evaluated.

Please take this nugget of wisdom from one of many ankle patients-- better safe than sorry.

• Posted

Even if it doesnt hurt everyday? I just don’t want to go and then say it’s just a sprain and stay off of it. 
  • Posted

a broken ankle doesn 't hurt everyday, I walked over a mile on one (didn't know it was broken and short of calling mountain rescue had no choice! ) You could cause yourself serious and permanent damage. You may have a higher than normal pain threshold, doesn't mean you aren't doing yourself damage. _Unless you have a very strong reason for not seeking medical advice, you should do so. (strong reason eg you live somewhere you have to pay a lot of money an d you really haven,,'t got any money???)

• Posted

Kaysie,

A big mistake some ankle patients make is to rationalize their injury as something minor, and they don't won't to make a big deal out of it (and spend time and money attending to it).

True, it could be a sprain that could heal on its own 'eventually'-- if so you are one of the lucky ones.

I say discretion is the better part of 'valor'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.