Ankle still swollen after 2 weeks of weight bearing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my medial malleolus on Aprill 22nd (clean frakture - the bone was not dislocated), had surgery on Aprill 30th and now I have 2 pins in. Had a splint on for 2 weeks and then the boot. I was non weight bearing for a 6 weeks after surgery. After 6 weeks, my doctor told me that the bone was healed (could bearly see the break anymore) and that I should start putting weight on. It's been 2 weeks since then. The probelm is that my ankle swells a lot. I am ok a few hours in the mornings and then I can bearly walk (with crutches) even if I rest for a few hours. My whole foot swells to the point where it 'falls asleep' and tingles. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I appriciate all the help I can get here.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

THIS IS NOT NORMAL. PLEASE SEE YOUR CONSULTANT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TOHAVE  MATTERS RESOLVED. YOU SHOULD NOT BE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS. MAY I ASK THE HOSPITAL YOU ATTENDED AND THE SURGEON WHO PURFORMED THE OPERATION.

REGARDS MR ANKLE

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I did talk to my doctors nurse and she told me it's normal but to me it did not seem like it and wanted to hear other peoples experience.
  • Posted

It's normal and you probably need physio, but expect the ankle to swell for months, up to 18 months. You've lost muscle and need to build it back up and stretch your tendons and ligaments after non use for so long.

I broke the same as you, which didn't need surgery, and my 5th metatarsal which needed a screw put in. I can just about hobble round in the house without crutches rest of the time I use at least one, two on uneven ground and I'm week 19 post fracture, 17 surgery.

Hope you heal faster than I have.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your answer. Honestly, I did not understand why I needed surgery, but an Orthopedic Surgon should know better than me wink. I trusted my doctor which I maybe shouldn't have. I should have gotten a second opinion, but now it's done. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
  • Posted

Hi vicky. I broke ankle in 3 places, 2 pins and 12 weeks kater i can now walk Round The house ok but am still very wivbly outside.  I have pain and my ankle swells up if leg not raised. I was told by nurse who saw me at hospital that i could have swelling and pain for up to a year.  I am feeling more positive now and am trying to walk a little durther each day, good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. it does help me a lot knowing that other people went through or are going though this (although I would not wish it upon anyone) too and that my experience is "normal".

Thank you again

• Posted

You are doing fine after only 12 weeks. Please dont over do the walking without your crutches.

The swelling and pain can be expected from 6 to 12 months so try not to get too depressed. It will come right in the end, its all to do with time.Dont hesitate to come back to me. Regards Mr Ankle

• Posted

I agree with Mr Ankle, the going to sleep and then numbness should be checked out by your orthopedist.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Just to clarify: it did not go numb while I was asleep, it was while I had it elevated. I did talk to the doctor's nurse and she said that it is 'normal' and I should just use ice and maybe try to walk less. Thank you though
  • Posted

6 weeks is never long enough. 3 months is a good starting point  to throw away the crutches. The swelling and pain will go in 6 to 12 months.

This is a long job so take it easy. Regards Mr Ankle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.