Ankle surgery 1 week ago - terrible pain at night

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle on holiday 4 weeks ago and finally had surgery 1 week ago to repair it. I've had a plate and pins put in to hold it together. It was numb for about 24 hours after surgery then it was pretty painful but bearable. The past 2 nights I've woken up literally screaming with the pain! Burning sensation and shooting pains all through my ankle. I'm on co-codamol but this doesn't seem to touch it. Is this pain normal? Has anyone else had it?

Thank you - the pain us much better in the day.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was in your position this time last year. Bimalleolar fracture, plate and 9 screws on the left side and 2 long screws on the right (inside of ankle). I remember it felt like burning and swelling and was horrible at the time and I cried a lot. I took cocodamol and paracetemol to ease it but it didnt help the burning feeling much. About half way through the time I had to wear the plaster for I rang the hospital asking if they could check as it was very painful and felt like burning and maybe the plaster was on too tight, anyone they said to come in and they took the plaster off and it was fine underneath just a little red. I was expecting blisters and all sorts, they put a new plaster on and the burning came back the next day so i just endured it for the rest of the time. keep your foot raised as this helps keep the swelling down and try to keep it cool put a cool water bottle behind your knee or on the plaster through a tea towel so doesnt get wet. Hope this helps I'm walking 90% fine now. still stiff when ive been sitting for a while but it helps by giving the scars a good massage at my stage now. Back in all my old shoes though i avoid high heels i wear block heeled boots and theyre fine. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you - that's really helpful. I'm having stitches out and a new cast on 2nd so hopefully it'll ease soon. Pain isn't as bad in the day - I guess it's just my ankle repairing itself at night. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Naomi

• Posted

yes hang in there its totally worse at night. i bought a bed frame from amazon you place it over your foot (which is raised on pillows) and the quilt drapes over it so the weight of the quilt isnt on your foot. i found this really helpful too when the plaster finally came off. when you get to the boot stage and partial walking the first time you put your foot down will feel like putting it on drawing pins and electric shocks but try and push through, its just the nerves reactivating. i started driving again after 18 weeks and it felt fine.

• Posted

Thank you - pain not as bad last night. I'll have to get one of those frames.

Naomi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.