Ankle surgery 12 weeks ago and still not full weight bearing !!!! Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had fractured my tibula and fibula 12 weeks ago resulting plate and screws . I am in my 4th week of PT and thought I was getting better . I tried for two days just using one crutch and it seemed to be working well . On the third day I woke up and was almost back to non weight bearing again . The inside of the ankle is hurting so bad that it is making me sick to my stomach. I had pt today and they checked and didn't seem to think it was a bone issue. Has anyone had anything like this happen 12 weeks post op.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi !

I'm now about 5 months post surgery. I broke the same bones in my ankle with a dislocation. My ankle was shattered and surgeon told me the worse end of the spectrum of ankle breaks. I have plates and screws all over both bones. I'm nearly 60 and still not back at work due to a physical job. I have all kinds of pain with good and bad days. When I was around 14 weeks post op a surgeon ( not mine) told me to go home take off the camboot and try to walk. I did as he said and fell. I was in AGONY with my foot !! My daughter rushed over to take me for a X-ray because the pain was that bad I thought I had broken my foot ! I hadn't but this out my recovery back. I don't think the young kid I saw was a surgeon by far. I am still in the camboot at times although as instructed by physiotherapist go out sometimes wearing shoes with a CRUTCH to help with my balance. I have PT every 2 weeks and do the exercises every day. I have days where I am down and some days are not so bad. I have had the doubters who think I should be running around now! So ignorant are some people. I really have been through hell with this lot. Not forgetting I can't drive YET either. All this takes time and hear your cry for help. I saw my manager yesterday and was questioned. I think head office may send me to see their doctor !! ?? Well that's ok with me because it doesn't matter who I see I can't wave a magic wand and make things better. You will get there, keep calm and let the healing continue. One step at a time. You are with other like minded people in here who understand these things far more more than any doctor ever will. We all know it's not easy and we are here with you.

• Posted

Thanks for your response . This has just been miserable and of course my doctor seems to think I should be good as new . I am only 36 , and he said that with my age I really should be doing better . I also have noticed if I yawn or take a deep breath the pain just throbs in the injured foot , not really sure what that is about . Did you notice anything like that ?
    • Posted

I still get pain in my foot and asked the physiotherapist why is this and she told me it's because the foot is conected to the ankle and it's the nerves. I have numbness too in part of my foot and ankle. The ankle and foot both swell up at times. Some days my big toe feels numb. I think as time goes on this hopefully all disappears but who knows. I went out last night for a walk in my shoes with one crutch. I didn't move very fast ( before all this I was very fit and active) I was watching where I was walking and all across the front of the ankle was hurting and my ankle just doesn't free up to walk as I once did. I also felt a digging in on the inner side of the ankle where I have 2 screws. I found myself amongst other people and I got anxious and had to get away from the crowd as I was in fear of someone knocking my ankle or bowling me over. My leg is still withered and I'm doing exercises to strengthen both my leg and ankle. I don't feel too stable at times. Don't worry about what the doctor says or anyone else because they have no idea about these things without they have experienced this. I tell you I was called in to see my manager ( I'm not back at work yet due to a physical job) a young lass was asking me questions who I sometimes work with and I did show her the X-ray and she looked at it and said she couldn't read X-rays . Well it's not rocket science to see I have screws and plates all over my ankle and that it must have been a serious injury and that I certainly wasn't born that way. I tell you people just don't care they think you should be up and running after 6 weeks. It all takes time and with physio we should get there sooner or later and it's not a race. This is me now 5 months on so don't worry just remember it takes time and you may have better days than others. Keep me posted. All the best with your recovery.
  • Posted

I am right tere with you on the ankle pain -I have been with my beloved cane for several months now and constantly complain about the inside ankle pain (I too broke both bones, 2 places each, have plate, etc.) - my PT told me that they didn't think anything was broke but thankfully took the time to explain about the way the nerves and muscles are are entwined.  I do see doc for my 5 week (monthly) visit and xrays -and will once again bring this up.  One thing that I was concerned about was the red leg/foot that I get after being up for a while, and the swelling - but my ankle message board buddies suggested trying grapefruit and/or peppermint essential oils and rubbing that in a couple times a day in an upward motion - GUESS WHAT the swelling is coming down and I am also soaking in warm epsom salts wtih the essential oil eucaplutus included - I will try anything to avoid the additional surgery they mentioned for this August or shots -- I wish you well, and like I have been told by all my ankle buddies it takes time and ignore those that haven't had this happen to them as they no not what they speak of
  • Posted

Hello aimev2

I so feel for you and all others here. I'm going on 8 weeks with same type injuries and surgeries and still in wheelchair, can't use crutches and am now for 3 days putting my foot down for small intervals all day long. I start physio tomorrow and my little foot is numb and painful. What I'm getting at is, each one of us has a different rate at which we will be walking unaided and in not too much discomfort. Your doing what you need to and I find this so inspiring to hear your and others stories. I'm just trying to keep as UP in mood as much as I can to get thru this very difficult challenge. Others could only know our journey by being in it, I try not to hear others telling me I should be walking,  we're Not, and you can rest assure there's not one of us here who wouldn't give anything to be walking. I wish you and everyone here strength, confidence and comfort to continue our journey.  Enjoy your nite!  Keep on......

• Posted

At about 12 weeks I had a relapse.  The PT was being aggressive with the manipulation and told me to stand on the injured foot and lift all my weight.  My ankle swelled and I had severe pain. I went back to the doctor, had another xray and as you said the doctor said to go back into the boot to let it rest. My doctor basically discharged me while I was still in the boot at 7 weeks postop.  I'm 16 weeks post op now. I am walking unaided, but I'm having more pain than ever. It appears that I have nerve pain at the incision site (feels like it's burning).  My husband said I'm doing much better, but it's hard for me to see because at night I'm in pain.  My achilles tendon is so stiff, I fear that it's not going to loosen up.  I get PT twice a week and I ask them about it, but they don't commit to whether it's going to come back. My recovery was very gradual as far as walking.  Use the crutch as long as you need.  You will just forget to use it after a while.  I have experieced fear of others knocking me over, especially when you don't have a crutch because people think you're normal. The crutch does help your gait.  I have been looking up exercises on utube also.  Wishing you and all the others much progression this week.
    • Posted

Hello Linda

im sorry to hear your having more pain again. Has it subsided a bit?  I get burning and have nerve pain too, I'm going on 9 weeks post op. She's started manipulation too on my ankle, heel and calf as its tight as a drum. Today it was pretty painful but they told me to take something for pain to work thru this part. I'm gearing up to get fully weight bearing for my walker which today she said could be 2 more weeks......have you tried icing it after treatment. I put arnica cream all over my foot after today, so far it's still burning but I'm managing. See how tonite goes...

i too  fear getting trompled on when I'm walking but I'm going to use a stick just for others to see until I get confident again. Wishing you well and keep on, your doing it!! 🏃

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

Thanks for your kind words.  I can't believe it's already been 9 weeks for you.  My regular PT guy went on vacation to raft the grand canyon so I went to a new guy.  It's kinds of nice to get a second look, although my ankle is hurting.  I'm not sure what made it hurt so much.  He was manipulating it.  He said that when it gets locked up it's a way to loosen it up.  I'm icing it,  seems like I have to everyday. 

I used the walker in my house when I first started to weight bare.  I would do loops in the living room to the kitchen and down the hall.  Is your foot still turning blue when you put it down?  I didn't take the walker outside, instead I used the crutches.  For a while I used the boot outside with the crutches and barefoot in the house with the walker.  I'm almost 63 and I did not want people to see me with a walker.  Is that vain or what?  I was very tired when I first started moving the ankle, but now at 18 weeks I feel like much of my energy has returned. It has been very gradual. 

The burning does worry me.  It seems that the doctor and the PT are ignoring it.  I got some lidocaine patches that I put on at night and it pads the sheet from rubbing on it.  I also have been sleeping with an ace bandage at night.  I need to get some arnica cream.  I will do that tomorrow. I have a red mark where it burns.  Is your skin red? The time does seem to be moving faster.  At first, it was very slooowwww. I do wish I was in less pain, but I guess there's no way around it.  It seems you are making progress and I'm happy to have you hear to talk to.  Hugs, Linda

• Posted

Hi everyone, I broken my ankle and tibia and fibula and Stretched the syndismosis muscle between tibial and fibula, I have been doing my exercises and going physio I’m on it every hour everyday been going 2 times a week to physio. I’ve been referred back to the doctor to see if I can get be Manipulated under anaesthetic I’m hoping that this will happen sooner then later cause its 11 weeks and I’m in pain like a tooth ache pain throbbing and feelings like. the doctor Originally said I should be walking by 6 weeks to 8 weeks but im not. im nit sure if i should still be on the bloody thining injections still as im not full weight bearing on my leg i have little red dots all on the inside of my leg that im not sure ive asked the physio she seems to think there not related to my injury

i really do hope you all or anyone coning across this message has a recovery

its kinda getting to me now woth the long tine its taking and the pressure im putting on my wife and children

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.