Ankle surgery 3 plates

Posted , 7 users are following.

I broke my ankle exactly a month ago and had a surgery done 19 days ago. I had a cast on 2 weeks and got transfered to boot. I started walking a day later and now walking around without crutches but cannot bend my knee, I am afraid. is it too early to WALK? I am not having big discomfort though. my ankle is still swollen, my feet are different color. im not taking any pain medicines anymore, but pain always wake me up around 4 or 5 am in the morning. imageimage

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

dont worry i did the same n is gettin better suggestion drink fresh tumeric tea n buy fresh tumeric from local veg place homemade once a day hot bath n high fibre food will help u real quick

• Posted

wow that seems really fast to be walking but as long ad your doctor cleated you i guess its ok

• Posted

it does seem early but if your doctor cleared that then I guess it's okay. don't worry about your feet being different color cuz I asked the same question and I'm going into 7 weeks and it's still a different color they said that's normal has something to do with the nerves. I'm not sure about the knee you might want to check with your you might want to check with your doctor on that. But if you're walking and you had three plates put in seems like you are doing really good as far as I know I only had one and some screws and I'm not walking yet. I do go to the doctor tomorrow and we'll see what she says I have the boot

• Posted

i broke my ankle in three places and it took me around 9 weeks to partial wb. i would say that you started walking way to soon. it takes your bones at least 5 weeks to heal. i understand that everyone heals differently but wow. did your doctor do x rays on your ankle to check to see how your bones are healing.

• Posted

mine is broken in 3 places too. No, my doctor didnt tell me to start walking, i just did 😦 I am just worried i might be doing something wrong. Once i start walking I didnt want use crutches again. Now i can go up and down stairs without any problem. of course limping. It seems like my range motion is coming back. im seeing a doctor in OCT. I worked out everyday and its really depressing that i cannot do things i used to...

• Posted

I am happy to say that I went to the doctor today and they took x-rays and said that I can start doing full weight-bearing with the boot. She is also sending me to physical therapy. I have been wobbling around a little all day it's not so easy in the beginning. I've been using crutches just to help myself balance but she said I don't have to it's just whatever I feel like. she also gave me like an ankle brace to wear when Physical Therapy tells me I can take off the boot. After that for about 2 weeks I can start seeing how it feels to drive. unfortunately it was my right leg so I haven't been able to drive. still have a ways to go but at least I can see the light at the end of the still have a ways to go but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

• Posted

thats awesome, Suzu! CONGRATS, maybe try to use your left leg to drive after practicing? I found it useful to use one crutch on my opposite side to walk again.

• Posted

hooray!!! nothing like hearing you can start walking again!

congrats!!!

• Posted

thanks everyone I appreciate all the tips! good luck to you guys and hopefully we'll all be walking up on our feet really soon and can put this mess behind us. I swear I never would have realized what a pain in the butt a broken ankle is but I wouldn't wish it on anybody!

• Posted

suzu i say same thing i wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy

im 9 weeks post op today im getting there

everytime i think my progress is slow i realize all the activities im able to do now that i couldnt do a month ago

i just wasnt prepared for how long it takes to really get better

• Posted

hi betsy i had trimalleolar fracture heavily comminuted all three sides and dislocation. Surgery to put me back together was 3 plates 14 pins 2 screws and K Wire. probably get a bit weighing me in for scrap!! anyway my timeline was 6 weeks completely NWB then 6 weeks in a boot at FWB. The surgeon said it would take at least 6 weeks for bones to heal so i would have never have risked undoing the surgeons work. Did they say you could FWB in your boot?

• Posted

I saw my doctor yesterday. everything is healing fine he said. i still have a swelling around my ankle and it is still stiff. I can go up stairs no problem but going down seems harder. I am just like you 3 plates 12 pins. I had a surgery on aug 22nd and 5 weeks today. I lost my boot on a boat couple weeks ago and hasnt been wearing any. I felt like it was healing fast day by day but now the progress slowed down. the skin on top of my foot close to toes are kinda numb, i can feel it but it seems like theres a foreign layer below the skin. I was wearing a sandal with 2inch square heels and it seemed like its helping me to walk with little support. My next appointment is in mid of NOV. Im watching youtube videos to rehab and bought couple compression socks. Update me how youre doing. xo

• Posted

hey betsy sounds like you are going great guns x its a bloody long haul x i am back on tuesday for god willing my final check up and hopefully i can put the boot in the bin!! start physio with a big burly fella called brian on 15th oct who will no doubt work me like a pro athlete to get me back to full ROM.

• Posted

betsey I have numbness still in my toes

Sometimes my foot feels completely normal and then it gets numb

From what my PT said its pretty normal

I also still get some swelling but all in all doing good

• Posted

go to pt! i heard its really helpful im doing my best flexing my foor back and forth 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.