Ankle Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello i broke my ankle 4 months ago i went for ankle surgery to get srews and plates, after 4 months i still cant put weight on my foot, still not walking and have alot of pain when i try to put weight on my foot.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Have you been going to physio and doing as much excercise as you can whilst just sitting down?

I broke mine just over 2 weeks ago and had my operation only 2 weeks ago yesterday and today I went for my first physio session. The therapist told me the more excercise I do now the easier it will be when it comes bearing-weight on it.

Chelsea

• Posted

Hello yes im going for physio twice a week but i still have alot of pain if i put weight on, go move my foot up and down a bit now but to the sides not yet. This is very bad and makes me stress alot
    • Posted

The whole experience is stressful but each person takes longer to heal than others. I'm obviously only 2 weeks post op and have only had 1 physio session so far. Just about to do some excerses now so I've still got a long way ahead of me until I am up walking around as I'm I've still got another 4 weeks in cast. I really hope the pain eases off and you are back up on your feet again soon.

Chelsea smile

• Posted

Hi Chelsea,

I saw an earlier post you made about your concern for getting phyical therapy so soon after your surgery, but can't find that one to post on.  I had ankle surger 11 days ago where they put in a metal plate with 7 screws.  Yesterday was my post-op follow-up and the removed the cast (splint), took out the stitches and gave me a walking boot.  I was actually shocked they didn't put my ankle into a cast, but my doctor told me to keep the boot on, but I can take it off while relaxed in an elevated position.  I actually went back to work today, and frankly my ankle wasn't feeling the best all day.  I start PT this Friday, but like you, I'm concerned my doctor is rushing me through.  Did your doctor take of your cast at your post-op surgery appt?

Eric

• Posted

Hi,

No, I've still got my cast. When I had my post-op appointment it was just a cast of taking the stitches out and putting the cast back on. Mine is a removable one as the Physio gave me excercises that I had to do. My appointment for cast removal is actually tomorrow.

Despite any pain, are you still walking? If so maybe that's why they gave you a boot. I broke mine in 3 places and had wires and a plate put in but I was told to be non-weight bearing for the full 6 weeks which is probably why they have left my cast on.

I hope that's of help to you.

Chelsea

• Posted

No, I'm not walking at all, and the doc doesn't want me to put weight on for another 3-4 weeks.  I suppose it's still protected in the walking boot, but the boot is painful to put on and take off, and doesn't quite feel as protective as my cast did.  I just thought it was pretty quick to be out of a cast, and was wondering if others experienced the same thing after their surgery.  Although mine didn't break in 3 places.  Distal fibula with some ligament damage too.  Thanks for replying.
    • Posted

My cast was quite painful to remove and put back on the first couple of weeks, but now it's completely fine. Yours is still fairly recent so I would imagine that it's still really painful. Don't forget to take painkillers if you need to! 

Your PT should be fine, is it your first one? I was just given a few gentle excercises to get my ankle moving for example by just flexing my foot up and down and to either side. 

• Posted

Yes it's my first one.  Really amazing that just 3 weeks after hearing my ankle snap, my doc thinks its ok to start moving my foot up and down.  I guess I'll have to trust his judgement.  Thanks, Chelsea.
    • Posted

I felt the same, I think it was 2 weeks since my op that I first had my physio. As you, I was very nervous. By as my physio therapist correctly said the plate and screws are there and keeping your bones secure. I was told that the more I do now, the more it will pay off when I am trying to get back up and walking again.

Good luck to you and wishing you a full recovery! 

• Posted

Hi my Ankle fuse wasn't a strait forward fuse ,7 years ago I had my tendons switched  I sake the consultant  who fused my ankle what about the tendons I has switched ? He said that they will be obsolete  whether that has got anything to do with the pain I'm in when I put weight on my ankle it doesn't hurt 
    • Posted

Ops I didn't get to finished my last post it ended  when I put weight on my ankle it's not the ankle that hurts it's a bone that's underneath my smal toe , it's just as If there is a stone in my shoe it really hurts apart from that ind be ok but it really is stoping me from going anywhere,when I press on the pit feels like a bone,does anyone know if it has anything to do with the hind foot ankle fuse ?
  • Posted

Hello yes im going for physio twice a week but i still have alot of pain if i put weight on, go move my foot up and down a bit now but to the sides not yet. This is very bad and makes me stress alot

• Posted

Hi Liza I was the same 4 years ago when I broke mine. I was in cast for 6 months before i could have my screws out. I found that keeping my foot warm with a hot water bottle or a heat pad helps to ease it and make it easier to do my physio exercises. Try investing in a foot spa, really loosen up your foot I do 10 minutes beofre and 10 minutes after my phsyio exercises or if it flares up at all. Keep on top of your tablets. It takes time. It took me a whole year to be able to get back to waling properly! Keep it up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.