Ankle surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I had ankle surgery 6 weeks ago. My surgeon has said I can start to put a little weight on it, a bit more 2nd week and full weight 3rd week. Does it really matter if I walk with more weight the 1st week. I feel I can but I'm worried it might cause damage

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Beverley 48,

First walking on my foot after foot surgery/non weight-bearing was difficult for me as well, a lot of challenges and fears to overcome. I am fully recovered and there are two things that majorly helped me that will help you out too.

1. A walker. It let's you slowly increase the amount of of weight you put on your foot based on how it's feeling and your confidence level.

2. Physical therapy. I assume your doctor has suggested this, but of s/he hasn't, it makes a big difference in how fast and healthy you recover and improve walking.

Last suggestion is to not be discouraged, it is very difficult to walk when you have gone through foot surgery and then going through weeks of non weight-bearing, your foot needs time to get better so do what feels right for you, including plenty of rest and elevation in between initial walking.

Hang in there! You will come through this and will be able to walk again.

Gretchen

• Posted

Also to answer your direct question a little more. Your doctor was right, I was only able to walk with the help of a walker 1-2 hours per day the first week and that amount of time increased each week until I could walk without it. Go by what feels right and also ask your physical therapist what they think is the best as well, they are extremely helpful throughout the process. At first it is scary and doesn't seem like you can walk much, but that will improve with time.

• Posted

Hi,

I’m not a surgeon but here goes. I broke my ankle but didn’t have surgery.. 6 weeks ago today... I would go very easy on putting full weight on it . The suggestion to go slight the 1st week and heavier the next week is just what you should follow.. I’m walking on my right foot now after 6 weeks. Doctor said to take it very easy and I didn’t have surgery. I felt as though I could put all my weight on it also but like you I was worried I could reinjure  myself.. Go Easy! You don’t want to break anything again.. you’ll know when you’re safe...you have to judge on your own...

If Doctor said it’s ok at least you know that maybe it is, but use your judgement!, it’s your ankle not his...

• Posted

Listen to your doctor.  They are looking in the future when all older to prevent complications.  It’s a small amount of time to wait to do as told.  I had to wait 10 weeks no weight 
  • Posted

Hi.

Partial weight bearing,  put as much weight on your foot as you're comfortable with and use crutches. Depending on the injury you will be able to do more or less than the other ankle breakers. I walked without aid at post op 5 MONTHS. Do what you can and don't push anything, it's not a race, it's a healing process. All the best 🙂

• Posted

are you still wearing a boot, splint, brace or similar? If so I think it is unlikely you will cause further damage and your body will tell you when it has had enough. Are you using crutches?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.