Ankle surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay guys so on the 23rd 2 days ago I had my surgery they took out the plate and screws well it went real good my doctor said that my ankle is healed thank God for that and check out the plate and screws but he said when he went in yes that was why I had so much pain because I didn't stay off of it and so it had bent into my bone and it was rubbing on my bone but now it's a lot better I mean it hurts a little bit from where they cut me open but as far as walking on it I can walk just fine so I wish all of y'all luck with your ankles and if I can help in any way to me a message

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie

I will be coming up on my 6th week Monday since I had surgery on my right ankle. I had a double fracture and required 10 inch plate and 10 screws. I been having a lot of pain in my bottom of my foot near my big toe and now my other toes. This is to be expected but I been having trouble sleeping due to the nerve issue in my toes. Did you experience any of this and how long did it last ? 

Thanks

Mark 

• Posted

I have nerve pain as well.  It is more of a burning feeling along with sometimes a shooting electrical jolt  kinda feeling .   Like I said to Stephanie , the nerves take longer to mend than anything else. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Monique

I am glad I found this site; I hope you get well too. I don’t wish this type of injury on anyone. I will definitely pay attention the next time!! I’m lucky my family has been a big help through all this.

• Posted

Thanks, you are so right.  This is a type of injury that until it happens, you have no idea of the impact on your life.  My husband and grown sons(and daughter in laws) have been so wonderful helping me through all of this 

I discovered this site right after my injury and it is so nice to know that you are not alone

in all of this.. 

• Posted

My toes never hurt they just were numb and tingly and they still are and it's been 9 weeks

• Posted

That’s awesome...hoping that things go well for me next week, I will have my 6 week post op checkup and I expect to be told that I can start minimal weight bearing.  I’m in therapy 2x a week but everything is still painful and I have no feeling on a good portion of the bottom of my foot.  I was told that the nerves that were traumatized with the injury and surgery will take longer to heal than the actual bones. Got my fingers crossed that one day soon I will be walking too
    • Posted

I had my first foot surgery about 2 years ago and I never did get back the feeling totally from it and it still swelled all the time if I was up in my feet for too long so I don't think it goes away

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I broke my leg and more seriously my ankle in a bad way and it was an open fracture,  it was last Feb 17, they say it’s a non union, I’ve been on Exogen therapy for 115 to date and continue on that, I know it’s not working, I have a CT scan next week which will determine that, my question is regarding the plate you had removed, I’ve got a 3 inch plate screwed to my leg bone which isn’t giving my problems, also a 7 inch plate from my ankle up to my  shin, it’s that particular plate that’s causing me a lot of pain particularly around the shin. It’s possible like yours that the plate is bent, how long was your plate in for? How do you think you manage to bend it? Can you described the pain and what would be the usual set of circumstances that brought this on? Why I ask is because my Physio told me to work hard on my  prescribed exercises which included a lot of ankle classes, I was always in  serious pain for a few days after each session, I told them but they kept telling me no gain without pain, I reminded them that my ankle remains broke but yet they pushed and pushed me. I think that this is the cause of the plate causing all the discomfort in the area of my shin, the pain and swelling in my ankle is a separate issue in and of itself. Its been suggested that I may need a bone graft for my ankle but I’m just wondering if in doing the bone graft they may need to remove this painful plate, I will put that question to the  orthopaedic when I next see her. Sorry for going on, but as you know these ankle breaks can actually be life changing events in our lives. Thank you so much for your contribution. 

• Posted

If you are in pain for a couple of days  every time after PT,  then you need to stop and listen to your body and find someone else who will listen. It simply amazes me how many people continue to literally torturing themselves...it’s your body listen to it!  After PT it’s normal to feel sore or have some minor discomfort but it should NOT debilitate you and if you find yourself in more pain with no improvement...go elsewhere!
    • Posted

Hi Darren yeah I know exactly how I hurt mine well how did the plate I had surgery and then I didn't stay off of it then it got infected pop the incision open when I was getting out of the shower over at my friend's house and it's a big step down and so it popped open in. Infected I only stayed off of it for about 3 days the pain that I felt was like if I tried to walk without my boot it felt like it was ripping the meat off of the bone and it would even hurt down in my knee and everything so that's how I hurt my knee and it hurts a little at first but it gets better so just stay positive

• Posted

Stephanie....what did he mean when he said you didn’t stay off of it.   What did you do to make him think that?   You have to get dressed or go to the bathroom or a glass of water.   
  • Posted

I only actually stayed off of it for 3 days is the rest of time I've been walking in there like you're in there and I have no one to do anything so I've been up doing everything that I normally do and he knows that because the plate was way bent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.