Ankle surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone on here had a ankle fused? If so did you have pain after. I was told by the doc, it was my last resort, fusing the ankle. And it wouldn’t hurt anymore. Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I dont have personal experience (yet) but I’ve heard it could be worse then it was. Fusing changes your gait and makes your leg stiffer so it’s harder on your other joints. The people I’ve seen that had fusions either ended up in a ton of pain or going with an amputation eventually to finally get full relief . I really wish you the best though and hope it goes well.
  • Posted

I have had an ankle fusion, I have no problem with it, sure there are things I can't do anymore, however, I believe that my gait is ok. Sometimes my back get sores, still don't know why. But I sit down and have a rest when it happens. Don't believe that amputation will ever happen. It depends on the person, I did all the physio that I was supposed to and was told that I had done really well. I don't have pain, however, my foot is definitely different than before the op. As me any questions you want.

• Posted

Yeah the people I’ve talked to which is a small sample size wish they never gotten a fusion. I always wish it goes well though being in pain sucks.
  • Posted

Hi, I had a fusion in February and it's been 6 months. 2 months off my feet (causing muscular atrophy of my legs and back muscles) and 4 months of gradual improvement.

I now don't need crutches, my gait isnt the same but I bought some MBT shoes and sneakers which have rocker soles that help compensate for the lack of motion in the fused ankle.

I still have some aching in my ankle after a long walk (that occurs when I've rested after the exercise) and I had some pretty bad lumbar back pain where I over did it and pushed too hard. I tore the muscle and that set me back about a month with some strong pain killers.

I am definitely on the mend now though with the physio and massage I have. I have been told it will take 12 months to fully appreciate the fusion. The arthritis in my ankle beforehand was far worse.

Fusion is the way forward if you have arthritic pain but be aware that your recovery is dependent on your active participation in exercise and physio. That too will help your mental state when the frustration kicks in that you're essentially immobile for a few months.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm glad I've had the fusion now but the road felt longer than it actually is.

• Posted

Just wondering do you still get back pain? I still do after standing for too long.
  • Posted

I had a subtalar fusion and bone graft with lots of nails, screws and brackets to hold everything together.   I am not 2 months post op and have very little pain.   The pain before the operation was horrible so I am more then happy with the surgery.  I still have a ways to go with physical therapy and leg and foot strengthening but I am active and most things  I want to do without pain.    

I cant walk far yet and my foot still swells after I’ve been on it for awhile.   But I can wear both shoes most of the time now.  When My foot gets tired I put my boot back on.    

Im wondering about shoes and what would be comfortable for me.  I wear Brooks and they are alright but I don’t think they are the best for my feet right at the moment.   

If if anyone has any ideas about shoes after ankle or subtalar fusion please let me know.

• Posted

i started off with rocker shoes, they help with walking after a fusion. I bought mine online from ebay. They were relatively cheap, I wasn't prepared to pay hundred of dollars for a pair of shoes.

• Posted

I've had both of my ankles fused. In the Left one I no longer have any pain. On the right one my Fusion didn't take and I have to have it done again. It still bothers me. Would I do the fusion again? Absolutely my pain is nothing like it was before... Good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.