Ankle surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, I dislocated & broke my ankle in 3 places, had surgery, pins plates. weight baring after 6 weeks. started physio at wk 8, its mow agony, very swollen. more pain now then when I broke it. is this normal?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Swelling takes a while to stop. My physical therapist helped with massage which hurt for a while. I massaged at home. I'm a year into this journey. No more pain but not the same as before. Going to ortho next week to see about having screws and plate removed..

• Posted

thankyou - just need to be patient!!! thanks for taking the time to reply

• Posted

mines as we'll was broken in 3 places left ankle, and i felt the exact same way but the mote pt and ice i put on pain is getting better

• Edited

Hi,

I've had same injuries as you and I'm now at week 13. and yes, this is 'normal'

I'm doing physio exercises and I've also decided to have acupuncture for the pain and to help circulation ( does seem to be helping ) I go back to hospital next week for physio follow up , to see how I'm doing .

My ankle is still huge and this doesn't help with the exercises of trying to flex the joint. Like you, I feel I've gone backwards in my recovery as my painkiller consumption has gone up . I'm walking slow and it's painful creating a limp ( I'm working to correct that) but reading other peoples replies , this stage of recovery is common and it's a case of just keep going and exercising as much as you can bear but if do speak to your GP or Physio if it's worrying you. I found just getting tour concerns across helped ease the stress of how my recovery should be going .

Hope that helps ease your worries .

oh and try using a glucosamine based gel to massage the swollen area . I find this is also helping .

Best of luck on the road to recovery

Shirl

• Edited

thankyou, this really helps me, its just worrying & knowing whats 'normal' thanks again

• Posted

Totally understand - In all my years I've never broken anything until this . I felt so lost and bewildered by the whole experience. Posting my own concerns and

people giving their advice and experiences has helped me a lot and I'm glad if I can pass that on and help someone else.

Again , all the best on your recovery

• Posted

1f it is that sore you are on it too long... Mine was really sore and my therapist told me I was pushing it..to rest more in between ....she said doing too much was not helping my recovery..so stay off it more and Advi helps

• Posted

very possibly, you get mixed messages, consultant told me to weight bare & get on with it๐Ÿ™„

• Posted

Yes but do the weight bearing but do it a little at a time or your foot will rebel and hurt.. I am still working on getting my foot back to normal..check the internet there is lots if info..hope you feel better

• Posted

thankyou, appreciate your comments, think Ive peobably been doing too much. you just want to get on, especially with a 9 year old!!!

• Posted

Post opp 7 month's.

Still swelling now and again goes down every night pain is nealy gone.

It is improving two breaks and dislocation.

4 pins.

• Posted

I just cant get over the pain now its out of cast. Im tough as boots when it comes to pain but this is something else. Im back at physio friday so see what they say. thanks for commenting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.