Ankle surgery gone bad!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle on both sides the bones were broken completely into. I had surgery and had to have 10 screws and a plate. Since my surgery I've had pain and infections. My doctor said that was normal. I went that last week and had more X-rays and when the doctor came in she went straight to her ankle where I had pussy bumps appear at the scar site like 2 days before and he said that the inside stitches didn't dissolve and they were trying to come out. But wasn't alarmed. Tonight I started having sharp burning pains that turned my ankle on the outside really red and my ankle had swelling and fluid. I'm not sure what to do my doctor saying this is notmal. Stiches that don't disolve is not nirmal. I don't know what's going on

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like another infection according to your description. I fell down a a 3 ft. Porch and did the same thing right thru the growth plate. Never had any infections or stitches not dissolve. 

I would really recommend another trip to ER OR you doc. 

• Posted

I have talked to my insurance company about a second opinion and am waiting on the approval. I also went to the emergency room and the doctor there really wasn't much help. Just told me to stay on my antibiotics and pain medication. I take ibuprofen for pain and it's getting where it really doesn't help. It's a scary thought that these doctors back each other up. If he put the wrong stiches in the inside and they are coming out through the outside of my skin what damage did or is it causing. That a scary thought. Thank you for your comments!!

• Posted

I don't know if u can get a second opinion even thru emergency room, but that may ur best course of action. Infections should not be considered normal, and ur description of red with swelling and fluid buildup does not sound normal either. It sounds as if ur doctor needs to become a better educator about what u are experiencing and u may need to help get him there by asking him all kinds of questions, like how do those stitches come out if they don't dissolve? What's the worst that can happen if the infections do not resolve? What pain is considered normal, and what pain do I need to seek immediate attention? Maybe even why is something occurring. I had pain on the inside of my ankle and my doc explained a major nerve ran in that area. I still had the pain, but I understood why my body was creating it.

Best wishes. The not knowing and pain can create a lot of fear. Be persistent in seeking information and the best medical attention.

• Posted

I have ask all of those questions and really wasn't pleased with the answers. I have contacted my insurance company about getting a second opinion and am waiting on the approval. I went to the emergency room and the doctor there really wasn't any help.My fear is of the unknown , will I have to have other surgeries, will I walk again,. I can't work right now and have been out of work for 3 months. I have filed for tshort term disability but even that is a battle. Thank you so much for your comments it does make me feel better knowing that someone else thinks like I do and knows this isn't normal.

• Posted

Ok already on anti biotics. Hopping they will help. Sometimes it feels like the docs are against us but really sometimes it takes time for infections to resolve once antibiotics are started. I am so sorry your having such a difficult time. 

I hope this gets better for you soon. 

Take care peace & heeling.

• Posted

I've been on antibiotics ever since I had surgery different ones of course . I've even ask if I needed to be on iv antibiotics because they can be stronger and get into my system faster. My mind just races with worry. Thanks again for responding words of wisdom and kinoness goes along ways!!

• Posted

Under the circumstances I totally agree with your concerns. I don't understand why the infection has gone on for so long. Or as you say what IV antibiotics were not administered. 

I feel for you in that kind of pain when really the infection can make you feel awful and tales longer to heel. 

Oh don't know about the wisdom part but thank you. Just had experience when totaled my ankle as it was just hanging by ligament , sharing mine with you. It took almost a year to get back to normal.

inremember the best thing I did was walk a lot in sand once I could have weight bearing on my ankle.bit help bring back ROM and strengthen tendons. Wear good shoes after heeling with good arch support and ankle support. There are many great shoes online. I like the spring shoes they put less pressure per square inch than any other shoe. They seemed kind of wierd at first but they really helped my knees and feet too.

Leigh I hope this heeling journey is over for you soon. biggrin

• Posted

Glad to read u are already doing all u can. U are right about fear of the unknowns. I am a contract case manager and my income is dependent on work. That stopped when I broke my ankle. Fortunately I am married, but it takes 2 incomes to keep the bills paid. (Back to work now but not up to full speed.) I had plenty of times where the unknown had me in tears. When was the pain going to stop. Was I going to be able to go into clients' homes again. I have current joint issues being aggravated by the change to my gait. What kind of new limitations were those going to cause. BTW. There's another conversation on this site about fear the ankle will rebreak the first time u put weight on it. It doesn't by the way. This isn't just a physical injury! This forum is a great place for encouragement and opportunity to voice ur concerns. But I also hope u have those close by who will allow u your tears and worries, and if nothing else ensure u know they are there with u.

Praying for u.

• Posted

Hi Leigh,

Here is a photo of my foot with an infection.  If you are even getting clear fluid - it is still important to see a doc.

• Posted

Ewwww. Ur external fixator was installed (is that how we say what happens?) different than mine. Like u, 2 posts in shin, but then 2 posts out of both sides of my foot, and it all met over the shin. Just absolutely was surreal. Three weeks with that puppy while wounds from fracture blisters healed. Then ORIF surgery.

Hope ur infection has resolved meaning that that is an older pic rather than something ur dealing with now. Best wishes to ur recovery!

• Posted

Hi,

The photo was taken in August.  Two weeks after surgery my Bactrim prescription was finished and the next day my foot inflamed with cellulitis - which was more painful than the surgery.  Anti-biotics took care of it quickly.  This photo was taken in the emergency room where I went to have it evaluated.   :-) 

Thanks,

Mary

• Posted

I have heard how painful cellulitis is. Glad it has resolved. I have to ask though. Will u keep the external fixator until ur ankle injury has healed or is this until something else has resolved? My doc said he has had patients with an external fixator in place for up to 6 weeks. I cannot imagine. Such a challenge to sleep with, especially when covers would get hooked on the posts. Twang! ; )
    • Posted

My external fixator was on for about five weeks.  During that time I slept on our couch because I didn't want to venture upstairs. Fortunately, I don't toss and turn and it was in August so I only had a light cover on me.  I tried to keep my foot above the cover.  I saw someone on-line in another forum who had their device on for a year and the device covered a big part of the leg.

When mine was removed I was given a black boot for use 24/7 and I was more comfortable venturing upstairs to my regular bed.  When I had the black boot 24/7 I also got a knee scooter - which was terrific.  I am now in tennis shoes (UK = trainers) when inside and I wear my boot when I am out of the house.

• Posted

My office sent me a huge care package that included a little yellow rubber duck that I mounted on the top of one of the pins one day.  That was my one and only attempt at decorating it though.  I asked the hosptial what they do with the fixator pieces after they are removed.  The guy said they used to be recycled but the manufacturer was making them buy only new ones now - I guess for a bigger profit.  
    • Posted

U have made fantastic progress!

I cannot believe someone had a fixator on for a year. I was in constant fear that I was going to do something and really do some damage. Almost did. One crutch slid. Fractured ankle foot was suddenly weight bearing and I fell. Fortunately a hard sit. Rick and Amy from EMSA got me up without a second thought. But no more crutches after that. I am now 6 months post ORIF surgery and getting around. Again, congratulations on ur recovery!

• Posted

How long did ducky go for a ride? LOL!

Yeah. After we saw the bill for surgery we were tempted to ask if we could get the thing back. Would have made a great paperweight!

• Posted

Ducky didn't get very far and he went back to the office when I returned to work a couple of week ago.

Glad your fall wasn't serious and congrats as well in that you sound like you are doing great.  The hospital physical therapists didn't even try to give me crutches saying "they were too hard" and instead opted to give me a walker.  The walker was exhausting enough until I built upper body strength.  I could NOT imagine dealing with crutches. No No No.  

Cheers for now.  I need to get to bed to get up early for work tomorrow and keep Ducky company!  :-)  Have a great day tomorrow.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.