Ankle surgery recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I broke and dislocated my right ankle November 9th. I had surgery with two plates and twelve screws. The cast finally came off and I have been working on increasing my range of motion. There was a miscommunication when I last saw my surgeon. i was told that i would be non weight baring for another six weeks, while I increase my range of motion slowly at home. Then we could determine physical therapy. Well ive been able to rotate my ankle in circles and side to side. I just can't seem to get my heel at a 90 degree angle when i point my toes upward. I called the surgeon's office to see if physical therapy would eventually help with this, they thought i was already seeing one. My questions are, can I get my foot to that 90 degree angle with enough stretching, like ive been doing daily? Did i do harm in getting to the physical therapist late? First appointment is this Wednesday. Thanks for anyones help and experiences. Ashleigh

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

no harm at all, you must continue to be patient. the recovery process is a long one. your on the right track because your doing work on your own , which pt will encourage you to do. pt will do alot of stretching on the ankle and it will help with the 90 degree heel angle. most of all continue with the stretching but be patient as well.

• Posted

Thank you so much for getting back to me. This has been a surreal experience and I have to constantly remind myself how long it will take to start feeling normal. I need to slow down anyway, I rush all the time. I was rushing when I f****d up the ankle. 🤣 Have you experienced any nausea when you think back on your own experience?

This happens to me every once and a while.

• Posted

well don't feel bad , i rush all the time myself. be encouraged. i'm two years broken ankle ,3 places, dislocation, 1 plate and 7 screws but i'm back to normal with any problems at all. i dedicate my recovery to prayer, pt and continual exercises. the answer to your question is yes i did feel nausea from time yo time but it got better over time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.