Ankle surgery scare irritation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m almost 8 weeks out from a bilateral ankle break with surgery and pins/plate left side and a closed reduction right side. I am in 2 boots with weight on right side and partial weight on left.  

My issue is since returning to work my incision scar on the left ankle has gotten rubbed and irritated and has become quite painful.  I wrap on in bandages and put a fuzzy sock on before putting the boot on but it still rubs.  Not sure what else to do.  It is bright pink and  very angry looking.  

I can’t remove the boot much at work... I teach, today I took it off and literally 2 min later we had a fire drill.  Blah..... please help with solutions if you experienced this.

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow!! All I can tell you put an Ace bandage on it that might help!! I hope that works!!! I could imagine how aggravating it is!!!
  • Posted

My scars did this aswell for the first little while . I was fine once my boot was off . The only thing I found helpful is wearing and ankle sleeve so it’s nice and tight and has less rubbing . I still wear my sleeve time to time . I’ve had multiple surgeries through the same scar and once in a while my scars break down. Once your out of your boot , i would sugest using vitamin e a few times a day. Make sure to massage it in. It might be uncomfortable rubbing it at first but it’ll help toughen up the skin where the scar is . Also , if you find it numb to touch , you should try and desensitized it with different materials , like bathroom tissue , cotton balls and face cloths . I still have numbness but desensitizing it helped a lot . Good luck and hope this was a bit helpful 
  • Posted

Do you have a syndesmatic screw ? Could it be coming out slightly? All I know is that angry red means infection. I would go get checked. It doesn’t sound like it should be that irritated. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Winnie this is Beatrice. I see that you returned to teaching. I'm curious how you were able to swing that with two boots? I couldn't return with one boot and a walker. What's your secret? Lol

• Posted

First of all I have a knee scooter Which I load into my car no problem.  I take a boot off my Rt foot and drive to work. I have a temp handicapped sticker for parking.  I go down the highway one time on my scooter and I stay in my room.  I’m on desk  Duty as per my doctor until the 20th, so anything I need to do Has to come  to me.  When it’s time to leave school I scoot down the hallway on my scooter to my car so basically I’m not on my feet all day,  I don’t have kids for two weeks and I’m just compleating special ed paper work which never ends.  I Managed to keep my pain OK, we’ll see what happens on the 20th of Aug?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.