Ankle swelling

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, it's me again.

So the swelling and bruising is getting better on my moms leg smile yay!

But I've noticed that her ankle has bruised and swollen too. I don't know if this is new or I just didn't pay attention to it before.

I've been googling (which isn't always the smartest thing to do) and now I'm nervous about blod clots sad

Did anyone experience swelling and bruising of your ankle on the same leg with the knee replacement?

Thanks so much in advance for your help and replies. I'm so happy I found this site, it's so informative! Annnnnd you are all so kind and helpful and encouraging to one another! It's wonderful!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I had a fair amount of bruising and swelling around my ankle also in fact at 9 weeks it is still swollen to some degree. if in doubt get the doc to visit just for reassurance. Doesnt sound like a blood clot to me but i am not a doctor.

• Posted

It's when the blood pools down the tissue thanks to gravity. Mine has taken 6 weeks to fade. Don't worry.

Robert

• Posted

Blood clots generally are 1st noticed with a burning higher up in the let. They tie a tourequet around the calf during surgery to slow the bleeding. In some cases and this causes pooling in the ankles. If in doubt call you surgeon.
  • Posted

hi

my whole leg was swollen and bruised from top to bottom  from halfway down my stomach to underneath my food 

the surgeon said I hadn't bled much during the Op 

i wonder if the tourniquet was too tight and I bled inwardly afterwards ...I took about a month to fade 

but as someone else said ...if you're worried have a word with your Mums doctor 

Jean 

• Posted

Bruising is normal even after this time and dont forget gravity thats why the ankle is bruised. Blood clots bring a whole new list of symptoms, bruising would indicate a burse vessel not a clot. 

exercise is the key, even sitting, just moving the foot backwards & forwards helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.