Ankle Swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's been 8 months since my ankle injury and I was diagnosed with a severe sprain for my left ankle and had a plaster around it for 3 weeks and even after 8 months the swelling hasn't gone completely and it still pains when I stand for more than 15 minutes .... what should I do? Please help. Thank you

P.S I wear the ace bandage every day and keep my leg elevated while sleeping.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would go back to your doctor?  Maybe an x-ray will tell if there is some lasting injury?

• Posted

I would go see a podiatrist. You may need an MRI if X-rays show nothing. It sounds like more than a sprain.
  • Posted

Sounds like my journey. It sounds like more than a sprain. I went for a year like that, icing did nothing to bring down swelling g or pain. I am now 9 weeks post op with ankle fusion in 2 spots and a big toe fusion, a plate and pins. May get rid of walking boot and crutches next week.Go see an orthopedic foot and ankle specialialist immediately.
  • Posted

I stepped in a small hole and rolled my ankle April 9. I work for a group of podiatrists. After 10 days of soreness and a little swelling I got it X-rayed. It looked like a POSSIBLE small fracture. 8 weeks in a walking boot and no relief. Laser treatments with no improvement. An MRI showed a 3cm longitudinal split-tear in the peroneus brevis tendon. Immediately non-weight bearing and began a month of waiting. I am now 3weeks post tendon repair with grafting The tendon was way worse than initially showed. It was basically shredded. Please have it checked out again. You could be making it worse and not realize. Like me. The recovery is extensive. 🙂 Good luck!!!

• Posted

I just had my 5 month post ORIF surgery today. I was told the minor swelling could well go on for another year.
  • Posted

Did you do much physio / chiro? If so doing their exercises daily should help.
  • Posted

Thank you for the suggestion guys! ? yes I've gone to the physio and I've gone to 3 doctors for checkup and they said that it has not yet set and takes time a lot of time to set. I don't understand why the swelling hasn't gone and does it really take this much time to heal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.