Ankle swelling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone!

Yesterday was my first time playing softball since my injury last summer. Loved being back on the ball field and being able to play.

I tried running for the first time, didn't go to well lol and jumped on my foot for the first time.

Ankle didn't respond to the jumping very well, has been in pain since last night, which I think is normal cause I haven't used my foot muscles like that, it some any moving like that in quiet some time.

Noticed this afternoon that my whole ankle is very swollen, which is odd cause usually it only swells at my surgical site, and is quiet painful in the outside and inside of my ankle.

What I was wondering, has anyone else had something similar to this happen, And how did you guys handle it?

Kind of discouraging knowing that after using my ankle for the first time and being hopeful, that it gets swollen and painful like this. Feels like another setback.

Thanks for any advice or words of wisdom!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Something similar happened to me. My injury was November 13, surgeries November 17 & January 11. In PT still but doing well. A couple weeks ago I did something I've done for years (using a shovel to plant plants, I'm a garden designer) and the pain was bad. Luckily I'm still in PT and he thinks I used muscles that hadn't been used in a year. I'm doing exercises that imitate shoveling. Laying down and pushing on something hard to recreate the movement of shoveling. Just started. I'm hopeful it'll help & just need to re activate these unused muscles.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

I'm only 15 days post op so I don't really have any advice but just wanted to give some encouragement to you! Hang in there and I hope it gets better soon!!

• Posted

You need to look at your healing process as "raising children". Take the long term view with your injury. Consult your PT before you change your regular scheduled pattern so you know what to expect. Swelling has to produce the worst pain possible, but simple treatment will reduce the the pain. Go back to your PT and get some new instructions on how to re-enter the system.

• Posted

Softball would be hard to return to. Could you not have selected a gentler sport. I had more sprains bruises playing and was forced to give it up in early 30s. Still miss it but holy hell ATM would scare the hell out of me. Your very brave. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.