Ankle Swelling and pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I broken my left ankle when I stepped in a hole on June 27. I had just thought I sprained it. It kept swelling so I decided to go to the dr. That when they told I had in fact broke it. They sent me to an orthopedic dr. they put me in a cast for 3 weeks and then they put me in a walking boot for 5 weeks.  So I started pt July 26th and I am still taking pt as of now. I know I should start seeing a little improvement in my walking but I haven’t seen much. My ankle swells and hurts all the time. I am walking on my toes to relieve some of the pressure off my ankle. It helps some. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am now five months since spiral fracture of fibula and walking but with limp!  I have been told may take up to one year to be perfectly normal!  It does improve so have faith - onwards and upwards!  Do loads of leg raises and squats - this has helped me! loads of love, I know exactly how you feel but it does get better in the end!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your encouragement.  My physical therapist hasn’t had me do to leg raises or squats yet. Right now he is focusing on the swelling issue.  He has been having me do abc’s the band exercise bike the treadmill and the shaker. I am sure he will be adding more exercises later on. 
  • Posted

I had surgery the very end of June and started walking August 8th I think. Man, it sucked for a good couple weeks and I had been NWB for 6 weeks so I imagine your issues are even a little more difficult. Keep at it, the squats and calf raises help, that's true,  and so does icing, elevating, and pain medication. Premedicate before PT if you find it difficult. Whatever you do listen to your body and always do something everyday no matter what it is. I think the worst thing is to not use it. Get that range of motion back and use your band if you get one from PT. I was discharged yesterday and I'm so glad I went, they have really good exercises for you when you tell them what ails you. Hang in there. It will get better and occasionally you'll turn those corners and realize-hey it feels better!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement.   My physical therapist is awesome. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.