Ankle tar any hope recovery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Any suggestions for ankle replacement pain and swelling almost 6 months later.. am losing all hope

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

So sorry you are hurting. I know what it's like to feel like you are losing hope. I broke my ankle (tibia and fibula) and had surgery with tons of screws and a plate. I'm now in month 6 and still have pain and swelling. Don't lose hope! Are you still in PT? Hopefully someone who has had full ankle replacement will respond but I wanted you to know you are not alone in your struggle.

• Posted

Thanks so much for reply.. I didn't even think a break would have swelling for that long. Glad to hear I'm not alone on that one. I can't do pt surgeon said till pain sorted. It's looking like fusion if he can't fix after screws out etc. am sorry I ever got this done.. if I'd known I'd have gotten fusion first and been fixed in 3 months.

• Edited

I has a fusion 7 months ago. I'm still in pain with a lot of swelling. totally fed up I was told 12 weeks! I still need crutches and have as much pain and am less mobile than before the op!

• Posted

I think they tell everyone 6 weeks for a sprain and 12 weeks for surgery ! I call a lot of bull! LOL I think they really should take it as each case and then assess .

• Posted

Ditto I was told the same and now I can barely walk... totally depressed I don't see an end to this.

• Posted

I think most of us who never broke anything thought a broken ankle ..no biggie..operate put a cast and then you're good to go, I'm walking but still swelling and keep asking myself too "when is this going to end ???????"and Is is ever??????? We are all in the same boat!

• Posted

it was 6 months before it got easier for me to walk but only a little bit. I am hobbling and have to wait again to see if getting screw out will make a difference. hang in there they really should tell people from the start it will be 6months tough going at least.

• Edited

Have you done PT?

I found it helped me with lots of issues

I had Trimalleur fracture with surgery and Ill be 8 months post Op in a few days

I still get some numbness in my ankle after sitting for awhile but once Im up and moving it goes away

Back to my normal activities including walking dogs from my local shelter and working

Hope all improves for you

• Posted

Thanks hon I can't do pt coz in too much pain. surgeon said not to and I can barely stand at all. thanks for reply tho

• Edited

hi i had Tar 6 months ago also

i have an appointment with surgeon for xray

and check up tommorow

as i still have numbness and pims and needles

i find that the pain i still suffer with is mainly in the morning

it takes me a while to get walking

but when warmed up it seems fine

also after a long walk say a mile or 2 it aches

i do feel for you

good footwear helps i pretty much wear walking boots that support the ankle all the time

good luck i will let you know what the surgeon says

• Posted

That's some difference to what I'm experiencing ... I can barely put foot down to stand up and hobble off my foot soo bad can hardly walk.

• Posted

Hi Lee how is your ankle now?

mine got a bit better in last month but still hobbling bad and can only stand for about hour and half and that's it for the day.

I was due to get screw out before lockdown to see but that was cancelled.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you are on pain to give you hope take a look at a short TAR video I made at twenty weeks post ankle replacement in 2012. Google Yogesh total ankle replacement. Cheers, Richard

• Posted

yeah I was told 3-4 weeks in cast after surgery then walking boot at 4 weeks with 25% weight bearing At 7 weeks FWB and PT and it hurt a LOT!!!

And Yes I would say by 12 weeks you are in pretty good shape

That said after i had latest surgery and went back to have stitches removed and I told him my foot still gets numbness he said takes a full year to really feel normal again

What I notice now is different parts of my body hurts!!!LOL!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.