Ankle/Weight-Bearing

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke my fibula and tibia 7 weeks ago and I'm allowed to weight bear this week. My friends want to take me to a water park to celebrate. I was wondering if I could do it or not. I have surprisely little pain without a walking aid like a cane or crutch.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

By all means go but I would be sitting watching only.Going by the injury I had anyway. Be mad to set yourself back if you participate in any fun and games especially with water and the possibility of slipping.Good luck.

• Posted

haha, sounds like a great idea! But how? Can you take the splint/boot off? I would say, if you feel OK about it, do it. If there's any chance of bending or putting too much weight on the broken bone, don't.

• Posted

Water and broken bones = disaster for medical staff. I'd say a big FAT no- just my opinion btw.

Find somewhere else fun to go. Go out for tea, even a movie would be safer. At that stage, with a broken Fibula snapped like a carrot, I couldn't even go out. Water park last place I'd go. Maybe put it off for 4-6 weeks.

Your recovery sounds like it's going well!

• Posted

No! Go for a day out with friends. You will begin experiencing swelling and discomfort when the leg is down. My first few days weight bearing were fine. Then the swelling and discomfort set in.
    • Posted

I agree, go out, change venue if it appears dangerous. Plenty of things to do.
  • Posted

Hi there, I would not....I'm 8 weeks out from ORIF broken fib surgery and like you I have times when I feel great but that leads to over doing it....and you'll pay the next day with swelling and pain.... furthermore the chance of re-injuring your foot is so high at a Waterpark. If I were you find a more low key way to celebrate and keep up the great recovery!

• Posted

I would say NO! you will be exhausted and in pain quite quickly. When I was told I could weight bare after 10 days in a half cast and 7 weeks boot, I attempted a shopping centre and could barely make it around the isle's of the supermarket before I was wanting to sit down and put my leg up. Perhaps go somewhere with minimal walking. Frustrating I know. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.