Ankylosing spondylitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone new to this so bear with me

I've had as for a number of years and always in pain but my main

Problem is when I have a big flare up I can't put any weight on my

Legs the pain is just to much from my hips, groin and lower back.

When I've not got any weight on my legs I can move them with no pain

If I tell my doc he puts me on a ward for weeks (five weeks being the longest)

Which is no good when I'm trying to stay in work. I'm just seeing if anyone else

Has this problem or heard of this befor

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I know exactly how you feel, I suffered with this so badly at one point I could'nt get out of bed without rolling off and pulling myself to my feet, no amount of pain killers or meds touched me ... I decided to try acupuncture and it has turned out to be the best decision I ever made on this problem, I had just 2 treatments and have never had a bad day since......that was in 1987 ! 

• Posted

Hello all, my name is Eddie and I am from the northwest coast of Oregon. I was diagnosed with AS in 1997 and in 2010 had bilateral hip replacement surgery. I was fortunate enough to regain my ability to walk after the procedure but sad to say the prosthetics are a already failing. I am worried about what my future as an AS patient is going to bring, struggling with pain, very self conscious about my posture and need some people that can relate to talk to. 

Thank you, -Eddie

P.s. I know I sound very "poor me" and don't mean to lil

• Posted

Hello all, my name is Eddie and I am from the northwest coast of Oregon. I was diagnosed with AS in 1997 and in 2010 had bilateral hip replacement surgery. I was fortunate enough to regain my ability to walk after the procedure but sad to say the prosthetics are a already failing. I am worried about what my future as an AS patient is going to bring, struggling with pain, very self conscious about my posture and need some people that can relate to talk to. 

Thank you, -Eddie

P.s. I know I sound very "poor me" and don't mean to lil

• Posted

Evening I live with the pain 24,7, now taking injections once a week getting worse not better my leg is the worst always feels swollen and painfull downside I work on building sites not ideal for a as sufferer I know. I know how you feel regarding work it's what keeps you going sad to hear about hospital stays with yours is it in both legs mines in just my right leg all the right side just started to feel a slight diss comfort in left leg but only minor I hate this as it's the pits especially the pain but keep your chin up don't let it win keep smiling
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear about how much pain you are in. My son who is 23 and myself 46 both suffer from AS. I find that each person is very different when it comes to this disease but the one thing that seems to be the same is the disease somewhat settles down. Meaning that it almost because manageable except for flare ups. Now the problem with flare ups is no one knows how long they will last. Right now from been off work for just over a year. I had to go off my bio med for surgery. Worse thing I could have done!  My disease went crazy and I'm still trying to settle it back down. It's so easy for people who don't have this condition to say just stay active. I agree I feel so much better when I'm more active but there are days where just getting up to the bathroom is all the excerise I'm doing that day. Oh and please never apologize for stating how you are feeling. We all understand on this forum how frustrating this can be!! 
  • Posted

Hi

I am new to this also, diagnosed just over a year ago and this past summer started experiencing exactly what you are describing. I have had a second MRI of lumbar region, the first one was of the neck, and now have been referred to a neuro surgeon. i am currently visiting Australia and have had some physio on neck and lumbar region whilst I have been here which definitely  made me more comfortable.  Do you also find that sitting too long also aggravates things?  By too long, I mean about the length of time it takes to eat a meal in restaurant?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.