Ankylosing spondylitis and sun

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with As for 2.5 years ago. I'm on biologics.

Today we've been in the beach the whole day. Now my knee hurts really bad, I can't hardly walk.

Does anyone of you with as recognize this? Is it common that as is more problematic during the summer?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No we weren't IN the beach... 😂

• Posted

Sorry to hear your in painI have had as for many years and yes it can hurt all year round some days when I have a flare up my hips knees and ankles spine dont want to move and are pain full like my rumi said either you move it or loose it
  • Posted

Had events like yours that I thought was AS, actually was tendon problem, another not in knee but back, turned out be osteoarthritis. My AS didn't move from sacral joints. Still hasn't according to xrays . Ha've AS for 35 yrs. Left sacral joint is partially fused. My stiffness and pain more pronounced in the winter here in In. Hope knee is non-AS which means hasn't moved.

• Posted

Perhaps it could be something in the water that you are reacting to since your immunity is lowered by the biologic drug. Once my knee swelled so much I had it aspirated after being in a hot tub. But it was just a one time occurrence. I've been in water, beaches before without any problems.

• Posted

There is such an explosion of information on autoimmunity. Really hope you find the ten minutes to read this paper on lectins, an indigestible protein in common foods that create intestinal bleeding, gain access into the bloodstream, attach to glucosaccarides on the surface of cell membranes in the joints, and cause immunological inflammation (https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/elimination-diet-safest-foods-people-sensitive-everything/).

• Posted

Thanks Bobbi, read info. Interesting Lectins effect TNF which all of the biologic drugs modify to lower immune reaction (exception Cosentyx). One easy change outlined in article is to pressure cook to lower Lectin count in veggies. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.