Ankylosing spondylitis and whiplash

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have both ankylosing spondylitis and whiplash? Have you had any luck with physical therapi?

I suffer from a whiplash after a car accident, ive had some problems with my neck and upper back since then (4 years). Then I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis.

My physical therapist doesnt know what to do. All the exercises för As is about gaining flexibility and Everything about whiplash is about getting stability and stamina. I cant find any exercises that will be good for my AS but not ruin my neck/upper back. No excercises seem to be good for both conditions. Now i'm only doing exercises for my whiplash because if i don't i wont be able to move and work. The pain from AS is better due to biologics but there is no pill och treatment for my whiplash except my work out.

Any ideas anyone??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, check out "McGills Big 3" on YouTube. I have been with the chiropractor for a couple of years and this is the suggested exercise. It's basic, quick and easy to do. The idea is that if you do these 3 exercises every morning and every night they will strengthen your core and offer stability to your skeleton, flexibility for you bones and tone for your muscles. Consistency consistency consistency! Take a look for yourself.  I had a neck injury which left me weak and constantly sore. My beck isnow tip top. Take a look and good luck

• Posted

I was in a car accident 2 years ago and just got a confirmed diagnosis of AS yesterday after being misdiagnosed for RA. Chiropractor is a good idea for even just a couple sessions to get some helpful exercises that will help strengthen the back and to check how things are moving. I saw mine the day of my diagnosis before I found out and he told me my neck bones are starting to fuse together. I have also found acupuncture and water mobility classes/arthritis specific physio at the local arthritis society very helpful, if you have access I highly suggest it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.