Ankylosing Spondylitis Diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.


I am hoping someone can help me who would be the best person to diagnose AS. I am 46 years old I have suffered with chronic back pain for years and have just been told its Arthritis. My pain is really severe at night across my lower back and hips. I am also suffereing with neck pain and recently shoulder pain. My doctor has never referred me and has given me a combination of Solpadol 30mg/500mg Amitriptyline 20mg which i take at night to help sleep but still wake the second half of the night in pain. On waking i am like a stiff old lady. I have suffered for years but feel it is progressively getting worse... My doctor ocassionally gives me injections in my neck to help when it affects my shoulder...

I am really begining to think it is As and not just arthritis i cant stand for long periods of time as well now and obviously this is really affecting my work as I am a hairdresser. Can anyone tell me if it sounds like AS and who is the best person to see and would i benefit from seeing a chiropractor? Thankyou


0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Lisa. I wouldn't like to say what it is. It could be AS, or it could be Spondylosis. I have suffered for over 30 years with Cervical Spondylosis and I have multiple bulging discs in my back. I am in constant pain with both and I take a lot of medication. Pains are in my neck, shoulders, back and left leg.

    Last year I was told I also suffer with AS, and the pain I get with this is excruciating. Its in my lower back and affects my hips. My legs have also started swelling up too.

    You would be best going to see your gp, and mention everything that is going on. You need either an x-ray or an MRI scan.

    You should also be referred to go and see a specialist.

    Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Lisa. No, not at the moment. You need to get a refferal to a consultant first. From there xrays, mri, ct scan and other tests will be done and then you will be sent to the right consultant. You shouldn't need to request anything, as once you are reffered, it should all be done for you, to determine whether its AS or CS and lumber spondylosis.

      Either way, once you get the ball rolling, you will get sorted.

      Keep in touch to let me know how you get on. AS can be diagnosed by simple blood tests, but you will need to be on the correct medication as well.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sounds like AS from the description of your symptoms.  Seeing a rheumatologist might be helpful.  The one I saw did bloodwork ..... i have the marker for AS, more specifically psoriatic spondylitis arthritis.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you Yogee it's just frustrating when it's affecting all my life now. Trying to hold down a job ain't easy when your in constant pain.. Going to GP tomorrow to ask about referral. Thank you for your time.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up