anne94175

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just heard about a new inhaler from verona pharma plc  RPL554 which will be available in a year or more. I have a friend who  is a COPD expert, lives in Wales and says it's an exciting breakthrough

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds good,but the way my breathing has been the last few months,,,,,,,

i have Bronchietis ,and I had flu and a virus that started in august ,and it had a scan in December that showed more narrowing of the airways,,,,this year I feel I've aged 10 years  ( I'm 69 ) in a year ,,,,my breathing has slowed me down, and the productive cough is continuous ,,,,which tires me out, I have been to copd rehab many times and without them ,,,well, ,,,, and I followed up by going to the gym twice a week, doing  2 Klm on the tread mill , 3 Klm  on the bike ,and 1000 meteres on the rower,,,,no problems,,,,until January this year when I fell and broke my wrist badly and had to have it pinned and plated , then 3 months later another fall broke my finger ,,followed by physio until November ,now they think the falls were caused by drops in blood pressure,,,,which I'm now on medication for ( but it's not under control yet )  medication for it was changed as it could have been effecting my breathing, 

ALL these things I can cope with except for the cough cough cough ,,,,,,I've now been given a Flutter device ,,,,to help clear my chest ,,,but to be honest ,,,I have no problem clearing it as it's a very productive cough,,,,,all in all ,,,,,none of this is any help to you,,,,,but I've got it off my chest ,,,,excuse the pun ,,,,hope the new inhaler is available very very soon as ,,,, 

• Posted

Yes, I've been reading about this new inhaler. In fact if you just google verona pharma rpl554 there are loads of entrys including reports on the various trials, (way over my head I'm afraid) but I will be checking with my GP. It was a bit unclear as to whether it was targetted at early onset or mild COPD or severe cases like myself who are already on home oxygen therapy. Perhaps somebody out there has got some better info'
  • Posted

I too have been reading about this new inhaler...but not being medical I am not clear in which way its better than previous inhalers...or perhaps taking 2 inhalers a steroid one and a broncodilator one.. what is so special about this new one, do you know?
  • Posted

All I know is my friend's COPD is very advanced  he uses oxygen most of the time and is very exited about this new inhaler. Some doctors don't know about it yet but worth asking
  • Posted

Hope to ask my GP about as soon as possible, I'll keep you all upto date if I get it ,
  • Posted

It's still in the trial stages but should be available in a year or so.
  • Posted

Hope  I'm still alive to try it out ,,,,,,but if not,,,,good luck to all sufferers hope it's brilliant ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.