Annoyed! Need advice about op desperately!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So my NHS docot wanted me to have my op in january/february. When i rang upand asked if i was going in soon they siad they were fully booked up and i wouldnt have the op for a few months. So i decided to use my private healthcare from work and go through a private hospital. Now the NHS has just sent me a letterwith dates for my pre-op (31st Jan) and operation (9th Feb).

The NHS date will probably actually be sooner than the private hospital as they want to put a camera down my throat into my stomach first and then i get to meet with the surgeon. 

Can anyone give me some help on which route i should go down im completly stuck! About to have a break down! 

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    I would contact the private healthcare provider to find out the timescale. You might find that the surgeon works in NHS hospital and private one. I live in Wales and saw consultant, had MRI, ultrasound, CTScan and camera all within a week. I could then select from the available dates when I have my operation. I am due to have my gallbladder removed on 19th January. 

    I have had had all my pre- admission checks sorted as well. With NHS the dates could change if they have no beds available so,explore,both avenues and see what you can sort out.

    hope you get a date soon x

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Katie, as Gwyneth said, as I looked into going privately and my surgeon does the two, private and nhs but I don't have private healthcare and its too expensive and so I have to wait until March for the NHS but if I could have it sooner I would jump at the chance.Mine isn't going to be done in the main hospital so I'm hoping the likelyhood of it being changed will be less than the main A&E hospital. Once you've spoken to your private healthcare provider you can make a better informed choice. Good luck and keep us informed.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Difficult to say really. I always say trust your instinct on things like this. If the timescale is similar.

    ?Bear in mind my story, though not typical - I had my pre op Feb 2016 and got a date for April 2016. Well, the junior doctors went on strike that day. After that, I got 4 more dates cancelled by the hospital. By then I was fed up and changed to a different surgeon's list as I had doubted the whole process and got a second opinion privately. But I opted to go on the surgeon's NHS list as I had no insurance by then and had been made redundant.  In the end I still waited until the end of 2016 for surgery due to the waiting list getting ever longer.

    ?So do be aware the NHS can cancel surgery although you may have no problems.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up