Annoying Ugly Chalazion

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a chalazion on my left upper eyelid, it has been there for about two weeks now.  This is the second time I have had one, the first one was in the same place and was eventually removed by my GP under local anaesthetic, this was about ten years ago.

?This time two weeks ago my GP (different surgery) just prescribed chloramphenicol that doesn't seem to be doing anything, and to apply hot compresses, he said to visit the A&E eye department if it doesn't clear up.  I went to the eye casualty today and spoke to a doctor, he said they were very reluctant to do eye ops because of risk of suing etc etc etc and he just said to apply hot compresses.  Doesn't look like I'm going to get any joy through the NHS.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Can u try another eye dr or hospital?
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

?I don't know if you are entitled to go to any A&E in the country for a 'non-emergency' but I will follow his advice for the time being, two weeks of hot compresses which I am following, if there is no improvement then I will go back and start putting the pressure on.  They just want to save money I feel.

• Posted

This thing is still with me.  Today (17th) I picked up a device sold by Boots that can be microwaved to heat it up then applied the eye to warm and massage the chalazion.  I'll post my progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.