Anorexic critical inpatient treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone experienced inpatient compulsory treatment for anorexia in Scotland?

I have been detained, deemed critical and really struggling with the treatment.

I can elaborate further, I'd just like to put the feelers out first xxx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi Natalie I have had compulsory treatment as detained under the mental health act but in England. I had anorexia for 35 years and eventually ended up in end of life care in pur local hospice, however something happened that made me start to believe that I could recover and I am now fully recovered from anorexia. i am here if you need someone to talk to in confidence and for understanding and support,

michelle

• Posted

Hi,

I have been such unit in Canada. They would usually give you a room with other patients in the same program. The toilet doors don't close (so that you cant purge there), nurses check on you regularly (so that you can't overexercise), and they would have supervised meals (meaning the nurses are supervising how you eat and you are obligated to complete 100% of your meals). If you really struggle, they might start giving you food internally through a tube. Its likely that you would not have much time to relax, since you would have group therapy between meals throughout the day... I know it sounds horrifying but this is the only way to adress the disorder in an effective way.

I'm so sorry that you have been detained, that can be very scary! I've been struggling with ED for about 6 years now and went through multiple treatments... it's best if you accept the treatment and try to take the best out of it. Since this is a disorder that is very hard to overcome on your own!

I've been detained under Canadanian mental health act after my friend brought me to emerge about 7 weeks ago. Spent 5 weeks in a psychiatric ward (mixed mental health problems among patients) and 4 days in the emerge waiting for a bed prior to that. So I truly hope that you can stay strong through this experience! Please keep fighting and utilise the resources available - talk to nurses, ask for help!

Sending you my best wishes! Please message me if you want to talk!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.