Another Bicep Tenodesis Fail?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all!

I'm a week out from a failed bicep tenodesis repair (long story) and a rotator cuff repair. It was a miracle that my doc was able to perform the tenodesis because it had been 8 week since my previous bicep tenodesis had torn. Luckily, it had scared down right next to the previous attachment sight and he was able to put it back in the same hole and just tack in a new screw. However, he said the tendon was in pretty rough shape so I was not to start PT until the 2 week point.

So here comes my problem...

The other night as I was getting ready to get in the shower I decided to check out my new bicep and see if the popeye deformity was gone. I start to freak out cause it was hard to tell with my arm relaxed.... So in a moment of stupidity, I decided to slightly flex it (big no no) really slowly just until I start to see some definition of the bicep. Well it didn't look very different so I was immediately crestfallen. I should also point out that at no point did I have any pain throughout the slight flexion. The next morning I decided to do the same thing and take a picture to compare to pictures of my bicep after the first surgery and after the tendon pulled out of the first tenodesis anchor screw.  However, this time not 10 minutes goes by and I start to feel slight irritation around the attachment site. Not sure if irritation is the right word... more like I could feel it was there and it felt odd. I immediately get nervous but decide to wait and see how it feels after my ibuprofen kicks in. Well, an hour later and I still feel it. I called my doc's PA and, while he was concerned that I had done active flexion only 10 days out from surgery (usually allowed after 6 weeks), he seemed confident that as long as I didn't hear or feel a pop it should be fine... just don't do it again.

However, I'm starting to feel the cramping in my forearm like I did when it was torn and am seriously freaking out about it. Could this just be caused by wearing the sling for over a week and not allowed to do any passive ROM exercises? Has anyone gone through anything similar?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my tenodesis done in July (2017)... 2nd surgery after a bone debridement and labrum tear fix 6 months before that. The cramping could be from trying to "move it a bit" after having the sling on 'er and no activity.  Maybe a little more time is needed... you doing any ROM yet?

• Posted

Hey Dave902 - No passive ROM yet. The doctor wanted to take things slow given the state of the tendon after he cut it from where it scarred down. He said no ROM or shoulder exercises for 2 weeks. I've been limited to ball squeezes and some wrist motion. Last time I only had to wait a week which was easy peasy compared to this time.

• Posted

I had cramping in my bicep the day I took my sling off (6weeks). I also had had RTC repair. It was pretty severe and was also nerve pain.  I put sling back on for another week and saw the Dr, who said it was fine. It did settle after 4 days but would come and go for a few weeks after that. I was only allowed passive range for 6 weeks and no lifting anything heavier than a coffee cup for 12 weeks. Different docs have different protocols. Mine was pretty conservative but I think, in hindsight, that was a good thing.  Maybe you need to take it slowly. Would hate to go through so much and not have it be a success story. 
  • Posted

Saw my surgeon 2 days ago, he thinks the interference screw is still in place but the 2 holes they drilled beside the screw had sutures and were supposed to heal and attach to tissue ... he thinks this is what might have failed. Luckily its a workplace injury so there's an MRI scheduled for next week (usually takes a year in this part of Canada.  so seven months post op,... and it sounds like he's going to have to go back in to repair.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.