another brick wall

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 10 week post op now and despite a very slow start  I felt I was making steady progress, but for the last week I feel as though I am going backwards, I am doing everything I am meant to do (plus a bit more)but I really feel as though I am at a standstill.I am still using one crutch outside and have an awful limp ,inside I am managing to go upstairs "normally" but coming down is soooo painful I revert to 2 feet on each step, I am so fed up and despair of getting back on track,moan over, thankyou for listening!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Remember where you were about 4 weeks ago? Yes you are making progress but you have just hit one of those spots that call for sto]ibg and backing up a little. Then restart the program taking care not to miss a step in the rehab process. Sometimes that euphoria we feel when we get better causes us to try to leap tall buildings when we should still be just stepping over little humps
    • Posted

I couldn't have said that better, just whats happened to me this last couple of days....stepping over little humps today and tomorrow.,
    • Posted

many thanks, you are very good at helping me keep perspective,best wishes
  • Posted

I think the best tip that my physio gave me at 5 weeks post op (I am now 12) was to count as you walk. I found that it immediately eliminated my limp which had become a habit after so many years of hobbling.

Don't give up...you have come such a long way. I'm sure we are over the worst bit and on the home straight.

MMx

• Posted

thats certainly a new one to try, I assume it works by taking your mind off the limp ? thanks
  • Posted

I am just picking up on the point you make about going upstairs and downstairs.  I posted my own worry about this a few weeks ago.  It is now over six months since I had my tkr and, in the main, it is really good and I am pleased I went through the ordeal.  I have noticed from the various postings that some people have problems going upstairs and other people have problems going downstairs!  In my own house, I am able to come downstairs in a normal manner but have difficulty going upstairs and use the 'one step at a time' method.  However, I have found that if I go somewhere where the bannister or rail is on the opposite side of my operated leg, then I can go upstairs using alternate steps.  I now find that whichever direction I am going, ie up or down, then I can do it in a normal manner if the rail or bannister is on the opposite side to my operated knee! I have even tried using my crutch on the non-operated side to assist in going upstairs but I then ended up with a sore wrist by putting too much weight on it to help with the leverage, so I gave up on that one! Best of luck with your recovery, Dotty,  - I am sure you will get there. I still find walking absolutely wonderful and cannot wait to go on holiday this year and take advantage of being able to walk around like normal people, instead of limping around and looking for places to sit and rest!
    • Posted

The theory sounds sensible, but I have rails on each side so I dont reckon it applies to me (shame ) best wishes and have a great holiday
  • Posted

Poor you Dotty, I had exactly the same thing. (,this is my experience.may .not be everyone's..) but my daughter -PHD in nursing..said that they fill your knee with cortisone after the op and it can last for weeks and you won't feel anything..no pain..it'll feel great..and it did!! The already dr said I would be great foe weeks then the pain would set in..mm did it ever grr....I didn't really believe him..it felt awesome...but when I hit rock bottom again...my daughter explained why..gr..anyway 3 years later and it's not painful but just feels very odd...I do hydrotherapy- can't to lots if excercising though...my husband made me a step..like the physio uses, been great,..hope everything settles down for you really soon Dotty Lotty..what a name...I'm sure your not  dotty....have a lovely day.,be blessed.,:-) xxx
    • Posted

It is a very frustrating thing isnt it when things are so up and down?you describe the feeling I have in my knee perfectly, The pain is not too bad but my knee feels very odd !thanks for your good wishes
  • Posted

Hi dont feel disheartened, its hard work, and probably like me you are scared of falling. I am 3 weeks post op and still use a crutch to go upand down, with 2 feet on each step. In physio yesterday they got me to walk without crutches one foot on each step, I was terrified I froze. Its all about confidence you will get there. We have a good saying here upstairs to heaven and downstairs to hell! Just take your time and build your confienc up.
    • Posted

I am sure your right in actual fact when I think about it I am very nervous coming down stairs, thanks
  • Posted

I get to the stairs to go down, I lift my knee bend as far as it will go and this seems to help, straighten leg with foot pointed, once foot is on strair tread I tend to  bend my  knee before the left leg goes onto the other stair. Seems complicated written down but it worked for me.  When I was about 4 weeks po once out of bed with both crutches, I could not for the life of me move forward with either foot...terrified of falling...after several false starts and needing the bathroom urgently,  I tried moving good foot sideways and once that happened I could trot off easily.
    • Posted

it does sound complicated but I am off to give it a go now, anything is worth a go, many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.