Another day,another fear!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I can't cope with this anymore!!

Went to the supermarket this morning, i always feel especially anxious there to the point where i struggle to even visually concentrate on things, all i can concentrate on in there is getting through the experience.

Anyway as we walked down one particular aisle i could hear a man's voice, i couldn't make out what he was saying but it was a very definite male voice.

There were about 4-5 people in the aisle aside from myself and my husband and 2 of them were men but here is the worrying thing, despite hearing the voice i could not work out who exactly it belonged to, i was too anxious to stop and look around me so now i am convinced that there was no voice and i am hearing things.

My husband said that one of the men in the aisle was talking very loudly, he said he remembers him clearly because at one point he walked in front of him and it was annoying.

I could hear this voice the entire time i was in that aisle, as we left it to go and pay i could no longer hear it, my husband insists that the voice i heard was real and the reason that i could not work out who it belonged to is because i was just too anxious to stop and figure it out.

It has scared me though, i can't stop worrying that it was some kind of audio hallucination.

The voice did not sound scary, not threatening and i did not feel that it was someone talking to me or about me, it simply sounded like a firm voice in conversation, i could not quite make out what the conversation was though because it was busy in there today and there was a lot of other noise too.

I'm terrified now, i am already anxious enough and the last thing i need is to start hearing voices if that is what it was sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think you are still shaken uo from yesrterdays incident with being freezing. The voice things disturbed your senses so you focused on it. Maybe a bit if derealization started occuring for you as you really couldnt shake it off or focus  on it. Then comes the anxiety. Not an hallucination. You are doing really  great facing all the agoraphobia by the way. Did you ever begin the anti deoressant pills? 
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa, yes i think you are right, i was still shaken up from yesterday and my senses were affected, everything seemed loud today and it was really busy in there which made it worse.

My husband assures me that there was a man talking very loudly in that exact area, i really wish i could have stopped and pinpointed the man so i didn't worry that i was hearing things but i get so anxious in the supermarket that even stopping to browse products is hard, i just couldn't stop to locate who the voice belonged to, such a shame.

I have not started the anti depressants yet no, last week i was having an awful day and had called the mental health team, they got a senior physician to call me back and she said that Citralopram can increase anxiety in the early weeks and she felt it was too risky for me to do that, she said to increase my morning dose of diazepam instead, I told her i would consider it but am not overly keen on the idea of increasing the benzos even more, I will see how i cope and may do it if things get too unbearable again.

• Posted

Do they havr thning that doesnt increase the anxiety level besides benzos? Such a shame with that.
    • Posted

The only other thing they offered me was pregabalin, in the U.S it is called Lyrica, it's a pain med that does reduce anxiety for some people but it is incredibly addictive and there are lawsuits going on over it, benzos are problematic but in a sense i feel that if i am going to use a sedative it's better the devil i know.

I asked about the older non SSRI type anti depressants but my doctor wasn't keen, it is a shame that the SSRI ones are too risky, i am really hoping that i can continue my CBT and that it will help.

• Posted

I used to go grocery shopping at 8 in the morning and have the whole store to myself.but concerning hearing voicesthe scary part is hearing what they sayfor instance they say the voices tell them to do thingsand you didn't have this problem you couldn't even understand what the voices were saying or if there was a voice

• Posted

I prefer it when it's quiet, it was awful today,even my husband remarked on how busy it was and he has no issues with anxiety.

What i heard was a man's voice but i couldn't make out what he was saying, my husband assures me that a man was talking quite loudly, i just couldn't work out where he was so i couldn't put a face to that voice which made me think i was imagining it, i was so anxious from being in the supermarket that i couldn't stop and look around, had i done that i may have seen who was talking and felt better.

It wasn't a voice talking to me or even about me, it was someone having a conversation in a busy place, with so much other noise going on in there i suppose it was easy to become confused about what noises were coming from what direction if that makes sense.

I was so upset that i rang the mental health crisis team who said i am not psychotic and just to let it go, easier said than done but i will have to, i already panic so much when i go out that the last thing i need is another worry to add to my existing fear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.