Another doctor & another copay

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

When will things get resolved.  The neck issues & the dizziness starting to think they are connected.  Seen by a Neurologist & she went over all my tests very carefully & also tested my walking & other things.  She said I did fine but I will never be a Wallenda (a tightrope walking family). 

She told me to take one Flexeril for 3 nites & 3 nites off.   Took one last night & after breakfast got so dizzy that all I could do all day was lay around.  She said if I could tolerate the drug I could start an anti-depressant.  Not starting anything.  I am at my wits end.  Not taking anything tonight.  Pharmacy said I should try cutting pill in half.  Couldn't get hold of the doctor "on call".  He never called!

Lady doctor said don't just sit around well if your too dizzy what can you do??  Is this coming from neck she said it is from tight muscles!!

Feel bad for everyone in chronic pain.

Marie

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What a wonderful lot of help they all were (sarcasm). It is so frustrating for you and of course you cannot be active if you are going to fall over and injure yourself. 

I am using a wheeled walker but I am 70 and can get away with it. If you are a young person you would be reluctant to use an aid to help you.

how long have you had this? Where are you and how old are you?

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I am also in your age group & I still don't want anything on wheels LOL --I am in Penna.  My friends are fairly healthy & I am so envious of their running around & here I sit!!  Darn.  The minute I feel decent I am out the door.

• Posted

I have osteoporosis so the wheeled walker is a good idea for me and I find it gives me confidence to walk and get around. Without it I am too scared to do anything.
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen ---yes I know osteoporosis can be very painful..I was so happy that I got out to hear a concert today.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  • Posted

Most doctors, you will find, are a waste of time.  If you can find one near you a Neurotologist, or Otologist, is who you need to see.  They specialize in inner ear issues.  All of the others are just stabbing in the dark to try to understand or help identify the issue.  The neck issue and VN go hand in hand.  I had a sore, stiff neck for 15 months as I recovered from VN.  It was one of the last things to resolve.  However, if you look at the nerves that originate at C2 you will also see some of the symptoms associated with VN are caused by that nerve group.  But, the vestibular nerve originates at the inner ear labrynth.  That is what causes most of the dizziness, imbalance issues associated with VN.
    • Posted

VN is Vestibular Neuritis.  It is an inflamation/damage of the vestibular nerve.  The vestibular nerve from the inner ear controls balance and motion sensations that are sent from the inner ear to the brain.  Vertigo is a spinning sensation and is caused by loose Otoconia in the canals that connect to the Utricule.  When the loose Otoconia float against the nerve hairs in the canals it causes them not to flow naturally telling the brain that the head is moving.  The disruption causes the brain not to know what is going on and the mixed signals from the ears and eyes then cause a sense of spinning.

Most people refer to dizzy as a feeling of imbalance and light headedness.  Spinning is vertigo.

• Posted

Hi Terry thanks for your explanation, it's the best I've heard yet (as I could understand it) Better than the words used by medical practitioners who only want to demonstrate how clever they are. They only support the theory that they don't understand what you are going through, but want to sound supportive, How WRONG can they be
    • Posted

Terry how did you get so smart?  Now your educating me to & you have to be smarter than the last doctor I visited.
    • Posted

Terry --me again.  My understanding is benign postional vertigo is easier to treat than the other ear problems.  The therapist move the head in certain ways to move the crystals ? around.
    • Posted

BPPV is usually resolved with an Epley manuever.  I had BPPV as a secondary issue with VN.  It took 2 Epley's to get mine repostioned.  Has taken 15 months with the VN and weather fronts really cause me issues now.  My Otoligist told me that it probably would never get back to 100% of where I was before this all happened.  I can finally go into large stores with little issues now though.  Sam's, WalMart and Lowe's really caused me problems.  This has just began to resolve in the last couple of months.  When you have a condition like we have you have to get educated because the medical community cannot relate and most don't have a clue, or concern, as to what the issue really is.

If you are in Pennsylvania there appear to be several Otologist in your state.  The University of Pennsylvania has one of the top rated facilities in the US.

• Posted

Yes Terry, I went to at least 5 doctors & had more co-pays.  One gave me flexeril to take "if I could tolerate it".  I took it one time & the next day I was extra dizzy & so mad.  More money wasted on a drug!  She was a neurologist.  So she decided to treat the headache I get from the stress of being tired & dizzy.  Her advice get a new pillow & don't sleep with my arm under my pillow.  Really.  And I as so looking forward to that appointment.  Oh well.  But today is better & I said that in another post.
  • Posted

Doesn't seem that Flexeril is a good choice of muscle relaxant for someone already suffering from dizziness:

Less serious Flexeril side effects may include:

dry mouth or throat;

blurred vision;

drowsiness, dizziness, tired feeling;

loss of appetite, stomach pain, nausea;

diarrhea, constipation, gas; or

muscle weakness.

• Posted

I know Terry---muscle relaxers at best will make you drowsy.  I was so looking forward to that appt much was not happy with the results.

Marie

• Posted

Hi everybody suffering with Vertigo,VN, Dizziness ... etc. I have to take multiple drugs for  Vertigo, Dizziness, Hypertension, etc along with warferin which I have taken for several years following a Stroke. When I started getting pains and tingling in my neck shoulders and arms, I assumed it was all due to the stroke. When I began getting the dizziness and room spinning I knew it was something else. The Dr thought it may be Menieres and he gave me Betahistine, which at first I had problems with. I reduced the dose, myself and gradually began to get used to it. I am now up to the full dose and it does seem to be helping.  Currently, I only get problems when I look up or down, e.g. in Supermarkets. As I am only 5ft 2in that is quite a lot!

As for the effect of drugs, I have studied the contra indications contained with each drug and they all say it causes what you've got! I spoke with the Dr and he told me to ignore it, as the drug companies put them there to limit their liability. Basically it's RUBBISH. That DR has unfortunately retired and a voice of reason lost to the medical profession and of course US.

Best wishes to all and hope you get some help soon

Pauline

• Posted

Has anyone ever performed a Dix-Hallpike test on you for BPPV?  I'm sure that the stroke issue may add to your conditions but, the issues on looking up or down causing issues for you sounds like BPPV or an issue in your neck.  The loose crystals, Otoconia, that cause BPPV symptoms can usually be addressed with an Epley manuever.  Also, recently found that low vitamin D is associated with recurrent BPPV.  You may want to have that looked at as well.  Just a suggestion. 
    • Posted

Terry thank God no I didn't have a stroke.  Maybe your thinking of someone else.  But also this stress is not good.  At the ENT office they tested me & said I did not havet BPPV although I did have it a few times 20 yrs ago.

At least that dx would be easier to fix.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.