Another ESA assessment sent after 9 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

I’m new to this so looking for some advice. I suffer with cardiovascular problems, severe high blood pressure & anxiety/severe agoraphobia. I have been on ESA for about 3 years & been placed in the work activity group. My advisor has been great & knows of my problems so only gives me appointments about once every 4 months because she knows leaving the house for me is a problem.  After my last assessment in July, my advisor told me everything would stay the same & I would be assessed again in 18 months time. Today I’ve received another questionnaire to fill in for another possible assessment only 9 months on since my last one. Does anyone know why this might be? Despite requesting a home visit for my last assessment  which was denied, my blood pressure was taken at the assessment centre & was spiked at 200/160 with a pulse rate of 165. I was rushed into hospital having a hypotensive crisis which was caused by me having to leave the house for this appointment. I am absolutely terrified at the prospect of having another assessment. The centre is an hour & 45 min bus journey away from my home which is pure hell. Could this be a case of them just wanting to update records? Or do they really want to assess me again so soon? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thank you 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Even though you were placed in the WRAG for 18 months for ESA they can re-assess you anytime they want. As you've received another ESA50 form i'm afraid this will have to be filled in and returned, along with all your evidence, this is another assessment.  The process will be the same as previously. If a home assessment is needed then you'll need to get a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. Hopefully with this letter if another assessment is needed then they'll agree to it at home. Sometimes people do have paper based assessments for ESA but this is less likely as you're in the WRAG.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you! I was confused as I assumed my next assessment was in 18 months. The lady at the job centre did not make this clear. Thank you for clearing things up. x
  • Posted

@tracey62159  Hi Tracey, I am sorry that you are going through such a bad time, can't you insist that you have a home visit?  It is cruel to expect you to embark on such a long journey, one thought has crossed my mind,  do you think that making you go to the "centre" is another test to assess your mobility.?  Just a thought, good luck,

MaryLip

• Posted

Thank you! I will request a home visit but don’t really hold out much hope. When you appear fine on the outside they just assume you can get there without any issues regardless of what you’ve got going on in the inside. Hopefully I can report some good news that I’ve been awarded a home visit. Fingers crossed, best wishes x
  • Posted

Hi Tracey I know how u feel am about 50 miles from my assessment centre I tried 2 get it changed closer 2 me my support worker called them but the guy was rude to her so there going to get me a taxi which will cost them over £200 so now my worker has sent in evidence telling them I can't travel that far so now I am waiting 2 c if they change it closer or a home visit as I have multiple health issues plus this is making me I'll c ur doc and explain 2 him and try 4 home visit am due 2 c them on 18th this month so good luck 2 u and I hope we both get home visits.

• Posted

Thank you! Same here. My nearest centre is 40 odd miles & with no transportation & not being in good health is virtually impossible to get too. They need to consider this when sending these appointments as most of these people are vulnerable & in bad health & the whole process is extremely stressful often making the health condition worse. Hopefully you get a home visit. I’m not holding out much hope that I will as they seem to have the opinion of “if their legs work they can get here” they have no idea of what goes on in the inside even though you look fine on the outside. Take care hope you get some good news! x

• Posted

If they do refuse you a home visit you can ask for a taxi. In extreme circumstances they will pay for a taxi but you'll have to pay the money out first and then claim it back. When and if you do have another assessment if they've not agreed to it at home then ring the assessment providers to ask for that taxi. Make it clear that you can't get to them because of the distance. Also don't forget that any appointment sent can only be cancelled once. Good luck.

• Posted

Well I hope that's not the case Denise coz they never told me that. they phoned me and organised a taxi for me for the 18th April and no mention of me paying for it I can't afford £200 2 £300 from the borders 2 Edinburgh and back.

• Posted

If they organised it for you then there shouldn't be a problem. What i would do though to make 100% sure is ring the assessment providers tomorrow morning and ask if you have to pay it first and then claim the refund.

That's a lot of money for sure, you'd think it would be cheaper for them to come and do a home assessment. They really don't make any sense most of the time. Good luck with the assessment Dru!!

• Posted

When my social worker phoned 2 get it moved or home assessment the guy was quite cheeky with her she was in my home at the time but anyway told her some1 would phone me in 15 minutes to arrange it which they did but no mention of me paying Denise so al get sw to phone tomorrow she has sent copies of letters to them telling them i can't travel in unfamiliar places .from sw.and my physciatricts and waiting on 1 from my doc so hoping they will listen and get home visit because I heard it's 2 hours 2 Edinburgh from here on bus plus need 2 find the place if I had 2 pay for taxi which I can't so al wait 2 morrow and phone 2 double check if not then I can't attend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.