Another feeling in chest.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Anyone else get a feeling your chest similar to when you get startled? Say someone jumps out and scares you, or someone almost hits you while your driving, that feeling in your chest that moment. That's the best way I can describe it. And of course dizzy and the overall feeling of "OMG there is something wrong with me" I took an ativan around 11:30 but here I am an hour later and still don't feel great. Which of course makes someone like me think "oh well since my ativan didn't help much, maybe it's not my anxiety this time." I hate being a prisoner to this crap. I start seeing a therapist the 15th and it can't come fast enough. I'm wondering if my ativan is not working how it used to.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Maybe its not enough to take the edge off
    • Posted

It used to be enough. But I have had to take it more in the last month than I have in the past year. And it's the .5mg, so maybe that's not strong enough anymore. I'm going to try to make do until the 15th.
  • Posted

Hi Bri,

I know what you mean..at the moment the most disturbing symptoms i feel is the funny weird feelings in my heart and chest and waking up with awful chest cramps which spreads to my shoulders and back..went to see doc same thing all anxiety and nothing else..ecg and heart seem fine and strong..i feel like crap right now cause i just had a fight with hubby..i really need to pull myself together and forget about being well and happy..i should just focus on my son and not get bothered about all this nonsense sensations..at the end of the day,theres God and if He wants He can make you the happiest and healthiest person who will live a long happy life..just pray..sometimes im confused weather i should be happy when docs tell me im fine or weather i should feel worried cause the symptoms seem so real..its really is very confusing and i cant get the what ifs out of my crazy head...now i just had a meal and i feel like crap..my stomach feel gassy and poking and it seem to make me feel weird all over my body especially my chest and shoulders..im sitting alone and having my thoughts running wild..i cant stop burping..i guess all im trying to say is anxiety can cause different feelings all the time..today you may feel a fullness tomorrow it may be cramps..our mind is so creative to keep giving us bew symptoms just to provoke the fear and worry..if everyday its the same that we will adjust to it therefore the anxiety will die off..so anxiety tricks us by giving us mixed sensations and feelings all the time to stay alive..its just stupid..this whole thing is stupid..we all deserve to have a normal carefree life..im only 23 with 18 mths old i love to bits...i just fed up and frustrated..sorry to vent it all out here..but i wish you all the best and dont worry such feelings happens..its all the anciety doing the job..dont sorry trust that you're healthy.

• Posted

I get the same exact issues with eating as you described. I too am sitting here alone just thinking. I was out running errands when today's episodes started, so annoying. And yes the" what ifs" really are a constant nag and I wish we could just turn that off. I have a BP checker at home and it read normal. So that helps me feel a little better. Now to get the rest of my thoughts to settle down. I hope you feel better!
  • Posted

I don't know if this is similar to your symptoms, but lately when I'm trying to relax especially in bed and I hear the quietest of noises it feels like my heart stops beating. On a morning when waking up to my alarm clock, I get frightened by the noise and the same thing happens.

I'm never usually scared this easily but since my anxiety has spiked again I jump at the slightest of things while outside, e.g. car doors, a person standing right at the corner I'm about to turn etc. I may even just be sat still and I get this feeling, it sucks.

• Posted

Yes! It happens when I'm trying to fall asleep sometimes. I'll just start to doze off and then that exact thing happens, feels like I've stopped breathing or like you said, the heart stops. I used to have that a lot before they diagnosed me with anxiety. So they sent me to cardiology and they had me wear the heart monitor, twice. Once for 24hrs and another time for like 5-7 days. These things I feel would happen while I had then monitors on but the readings never showed anything really abnormal. I'd have occasional increased heart rate but nothing of concern. Did a stress test for the heart. That was fine. So then I got stamped with the anxiety diagnosis. I had started doing well with recognizing and being able to help myself through an episode. But lately, I guess for about a month or so over not been controlling it well.
    • Posted

As if its not bad enough being told its anxiety it's now messing with my sleeping patterns, it takes about 2 hours to eventually odd out after constantly jolted up with this feeling.
  • Posted

I unfortunately understand how you all feel. I'm a 54 year old woman, although I'm constantly told I look great, in reality I feel like crap. Starting last year I have been to every type of doctor under the sun and to the ER several times with chest pain. All my tests have been negative, however, my rheumatologist thinks I did have a parvo infection months ago. Its been in my system since I got it from my son when he was about 5. Didn't realize it stays in your system and can re-emerge. I do have several cardiac issues that are real. I have mytro valve prolapse, an arrhythmia and was recently diagnosed with a PFO, which is a hole in my heart. My insurance company had denied paying for the procedure to close the hole, so I have to file an appeal. I can tell those of you experiencing stomach issues...you should start eliminating things from your diet. I used to have lots of stomach problems. My diet is lactose free, gluten free and I don't eat anything with preservatives. Aspartame and MSG are literally two of the worst things you can put in your body. And if you try going gluten free, read EVERY label. It's in almost everything. I hope this information helps somebody. I wish you all good health. Michelle
  • Posted

I get a nervous fluttery feeling in my chest it's really hard to explaine. It's almost like your about to expect something to happen to you. And as for the dizziness it's a daily thing with me it comes and goes and sometimes to the point I feel like I'm going to fall over. I guess there must be thousands of symptoms with anxiety. It your mind playing with you just to make you even more scared. I just try and ignore mine and hope it will give up
  • Posted

Is ativan an anxiety med?
    • Posted

Yes. It's an as needed for attacks. It's not intended to be a daily med for control.
    • Posted

I take an anxiety med daily per docs instruction .some need it daily.id rather take a med then get extreme anxiety.

• Edited

I feel that way often. I describe it like worms are crawling around in the front of my chest. It's the same feeling of free I am startled
  • Edited

I can empathize with you here as ever since May 2019 after receiving a diagnosis of Spherocytosis (likely hereditary) and being told that I have an enlarged spleen, I started to experience these chest episodes of chest spasms and feelings of wavelike movements as if something was moving around in my chest cavity which of course causes me a great deal of anxiety and panic every episode, every time it happens. It has become chronic as this has gone on now for the past 2 years and you would think that I would become used to it by now but I still have not. With every chest episode it is extremely frightening and I fear for my life and I fear that my life is in danger and I fear that something bad is going to happen to the point that I'm laying here with my phone and hovering my thumb over the call button with 911 pressed just in case my chest or my neck or my head explodes because I feel such an intense pressure in these areas and these sensations of movements or spasms and again it is terribly frightening. After over 60 visits to the local emergency department of the hospital, I have been told a multitude of things from a an array of doctors as to what the potential causes could be underlying at play and I have heard it all from psychosomatic to somatoform to anxiety etc, etc. I work with my doctor on a weekly basis to check in with him because of my symptoms and he has me on a wide array of medications to calm my anxiety and panic attacks from chest episodes I experience and even then it doesn't always work. I just wish that these chest episodes would stop and that I would stop going into such panic and anxiety attacks to the point that I fear death and I just wish for my health to be restored and that this panic disorder or anxiety attack problem I have developed in the past two years would just go away and leave me alone forever. The hospital would always give me Ativan which would work but then they would discharge me and I would go home and it would wear off and then my symptoms would start again and I would be suffering in silence just as I have been doing the past 2 years. My doctor is constantly working with me trying to rearrange my medications and dosages to find the right combination to fix the problems and sometimes it is effective while other periods of time the medications are no longer effective. I have a bunch of coping mechanisms set in place to help me deal with these chest episodes and anxiety and panic attacks as they happen; however, they seem to be coming less and less effective with time and my episodes seem to be growing worse in intensity, duration, and in frequency. Medical professionals are not concerned for me - they do not believe that it is a major problem and they just believe that it's my anxiety that needs to get under control. I wouldn't wish this on anybody - it's no way to live.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.