Another Gallbladder removal resulting in never ending pain...

Posted , 20 users are following.

Thanks for reading firstly. I'm new to this site, my GP recommended it as a trusted reliable resource, and advised I should only use this site. I've been lurking for a while, but following an endoscopy this week I felt I would like to post.

In april 2013 I was diagnosed with Gallstones, following 18 months of misery. My Gallbladder was removed in August 2013. The surgery was Lap-col, it didnt go as smoothly as it could have, the surgeon was surprised by the position of my bile ducts and liver, saying they weren't where he expected them to be. My gallbladder was very diseased. Something was cut that shouldnt have been, and in my dopey post op state I dont recall what it was, I never saw my surgeon again as he left the hospital. It took 4months and 2more hospital stays for my wounds to close as they all became infected and had to be packed daily, then bi-daily till they were ready to close.

As the pain from the surgery died down, I noticed that I was still in a high level of pain, very very similar to the pain I had with the Gallstones; same location, lasting several hrs, nausious, high intensity, just completely typical gallstone pain, etc. I have now got constant diarrhea.

I was given a new consultant, who said it was just healing pains, come back in 3 months. I did, by now very certain that it wasn't healing pains.

In that time I changed my diet, I have gone completely low fat, and removed gluten. Ive done food diaries, nothing in particular seems to be a trigger food. The diarrhea still persists, but seems to be reduced to just the morning, as opposed to all day. My GP prescribed ora-morph, and codiene and both made the pain much much worse. I then went on to tramadol, and now Im on amitriptyline (no change in bm). I get days where I have diarrhea and no pain, but more than often a normal day involves an element of pain. Today is particually bad day for pain.

My LFT was checked and came back normal (which is a big releif as my mum and uncle have hemochromatosis). In the last 2 weeks I have had an MRI and endoscopy (biopsy for coeliac taken). I have no idea yet what the MRI has shown if anything, but the nurse who did my endoscopy did say that my stomach is full of bile. I cant really remember any other conversation with the nurse as I had been sedated. Im seeing my GP next week. No news as to when Im due to see my consultant.

Any thoughts? Im desperatly trying to not consult Dr google. I want to see my GP prepared, even more so with my consultant.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi emmalou, I went to my docs the other day re a gallstone of about 9mm which has not been too much trouble until I ate a whole pile of goats cheese in oil. How stupid was that!! Since, strangely, I am in no or little pain with gallstone and diverticulitis, my doc, now retired, has decided not to send me for removal of the gallbladder. I thought she was referring to bile salt ma sorting issues after the op. It she mentioned problems with the op itself such as what you mention. So it is known to the med profession that easy gb removal isn't all it's cracked up to be!
  • Posted

I see this post was 7 months ago but I just wanted to add a thought.  I just had my gallbladder removed a week ago.  I have a pain now that I never had before which is in my right upper flank area and is positional although I have not quite figured out what position makes it worse, but a certain position, maybe bending forward combined with taking a deep breath brings on this rather sharp, yet brief increase in localized pain.  Otherwise, its still painful there, like a constant mild aching.  I am wondering if there is anything a neurologist can do.  Perhaps a nerve block, (if it is safe).  It just may not be safe if the sensory nerves are too close to the motor nerves innervating the diaphram. I am going to look on a "dermatome map" and see what I can figure out.  But first, I am going to try accupuncture.  It helped me in the past with radiculopathy (pinched nerve) and I was actually amazed. So I must try this first, and I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks.  How are you doing now?

• Posted

You have no bile too break down the fat I had mine out and still had pain so did my homework and found out I would have too take a bile supplement with every meal and this stopped the pain bile is like soap too dissolve the fat.
    • Posted

Hi Peggy what is that Bile supplement called. I have had issues with mine as well, and would like to try this. Did it work for you??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.