Another infection after hysterectomy and bowel repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post op, had an infection the second week and thought it had gone. Felt awful yesterday and had a bath this morning, I've got a discharge again and fear the worse. Looks like I'll be phoning the doctor in the morning to be checked. God do you ever get better? Thought I was starting to heal then get yet another set back. The thing is I don't know if it's from the hysterectomy orthe bowel repair stitches inside that are causing the problems. Help.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh Val, I'm sorry your recovery isn't going well sadsorry I can't offer any words of advice to help you. I hope you get seen and sorted out quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Val

Poor you - sounds as if you're having a bad time.  I have found mixed advice about having baths as opposed to showers because of the risk of infection so I have not had a bath since my op 3 weeks ago. It may be where you have got the infection from.  I had a vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair (bladder as opposed to bowel) and I googled a diagram of the repair.  It involves stitching virtually the whole length of the vagina to the supporting muscle, so there are an awful lot of stitches - I expect the bowel repair is similar.  I have had intermittent bleeding (although nothing for last 3/4 days) and I can only think that every slightly awkward move I make affects one or more of these stitches.

I do hope you get sorted out as it is so frustrating when you feel you are on the mend and then something else happens.

Best wishes

Shani x

• Posted

Thank you, I hope you start to feel better soon also. It's a comfort having someone else to talk to who understands what we've been through. Just want to be me again now X
  • Posted

Hi Val your really having it rough! Go see your doctor and see what advice/treatment he gives.

Personally I'd stay away from the bath until your 6 week check, that's the magic week, shower as you want. Don't forget apart from soaking in water which probably is ok after 4 weeks but I'm taking no chances, you've still got to lower your body down into the bath, which could put a strain on those mending tissues! Some may be ok some won't as we all heal at different rates. 

If your able let family/friends look after you, enjoy this it doesn't happen often! Gently do little light things, not lifting anything heavy, I was told nothing heavier than 1 liter, but my friend was told a small cup.

Walking is good as long as you build it up gently a bit further every day on the flat.

I'm 19 days post op, I live about 5 mins from the underground, last Wed walked up to it got on a train to Westfield Stratford and went and sat in M&S drank tea, had a snack an chat after about 90mins went to women's dept looked at two things then we made our way home, had been having a occasional light pinkish on wiping after that it wen a little red, so took it easy next day. Today I repeated it, not so long sitting and a little longer walking hopefully ok so far but feel the the lower slight pull.

We all feel so good we want to get going, but our body will only let us do so much and there's no rushing it.

may be step back rest up and start again slower this time.

Good luck hope you feel better soon

• Posted

You sound like it's all going well up to now, it's good to hear a positive comment. Good luck with your recovery. Take care and just take small steps X
  • Posted

Hi hope you get the infection sorted ..could I just ask as I've had vaginal hysterectomy and bowel prolapse repair ..I've got a lot of discomfort seems like they have stitched on the outside where the prolapse was bulging out of the vagina and it feels like I'm sat on barbed wire and pulling ..not sure what they have done and got no after care info let out less than. 24 hours after surgery .. Thanks x
    • Posted

Hi, yes I've had vaginal hysterectomy and bowel prolapse repair inside the vagina. Like you I feel the same, like it's swollen inside with barbed wire, it does feel very uncomfortable doesn't it. I didn't know it had been done until after the op and was told I needed it. I've read off here that it does ease up after 6 weeks so I am hoping that's the case. When did you get it done?X
    • Posted

I'm trying to contact the doctor but not having much success, answer phone. Need this infection sorting out.its not nice xx
    • Posted

Hi Cookie

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair (bladder) and I experienced a similar pain during the night following the day of the op. It felt like someone had stuck a wire brush up inside me!  That was the only real discomfort I had and have had no pain or discomfort since, so hopefully yours will wear off.  I mentioned to another lady that I Googled a diagram of exactly what a 'repair' entailed and mine involved cutting down the length of the vagina in order to stitch it back to the muscle wall in order to support the bladder.  So if the bowel repair is similar you probably have like a 'ladder' of stitches down the vagina.  When I saw this a realised why I was so sore initially.  But as I say it did wear off very quickly, so hopefully yours will as well.  I was lucky enough to stay in hospital for 4 days so felt quite well when I left. I was also in a private wing (didn't pay - it was their way of apologising for cancelling my original date!) so got excellent care.

If your pain continues I would ring them to put your mind at rest.

Best wishes

Shani xx

• Posted

Doc confirmed another infection today. On more anti biotics and if no improvement by Thursday they will scan me to see what the problem is. Can't believe I'm 4 and a half weeks post op and back to square one again. Really fed up and wish never had it all done. Fingers crossed will sort this out once and for all xx
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you have got another infection, that's bad luck, but your on antibiotics and the doctor is going to keep an eye on you and get it sorted. It's an absolute pain, so try and relax let the meds. do their job and hopefully you'll be on the road - slightly delayed - to recovery! Your body will still be recovering so you won't be right back to square one. 

One day soon when this is all behind you, and your feeling great you'll look back and it won't seem so long in getting there, and it will be worth it. Hang in there.

lesley x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.