Another infection ---- Blood/Mucous

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does or has anyone got some blood and or mucous even after they finished antibotics? I am on antibotics again now. I hate this disease I got to figure what the heck i'm doing wrong I can't keep going on antibotics every 4 to 5 months. I am sad depressed and scared. Before this infec tion hers what I was eating slice turkey with very light mild gravy cooked broccoli, calliflower , carrots an d bakes MASHED sweetpotatoes with mixed mashed carrote. LOTS of plain greek yogurt , milk coffee and unsweetne tea and 80% dark choclae about an ounce on most days and cottage cheese - baked skinless chicken . Occassionall pumkin pie (I do not eat the crust) Blueberry Nutri grain breakfast bar.

Is there anyone here that has HAD DD the actual infections got them often at first and then managed to get them much farather apart, can you share any wisdom, and eating habits and what you did to occomplish it PLEASE share i'm just desperate and actualkly felling hopeless. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No on the gassy vegetables! You will basically have to stick with canned, boiled, broiled or baked white meats. No on the blueberries, they have a lot of small seeds. No on fresh fruit or vegetables, salads or brown breads. Eat in moderation about the size of your fist, lots of water. I always drink a small Gatorade every morning for electrolytes. There are several websites that will give you an idea of what's acceptable to eat. Good luck!

• Posted

Hello, I still get mucous since my colostomy surgery and my doc. says it's normal but I had blood in my urine which concerned me and was told I had another UTI of many which he says often goes hand in hand with diverticulitis and Chron's , so once again I was put on antibiotics and it cleared. There was no fever present, chills or nausea this time and he told me these symptoms aren't always present with a UTI infection.

Don't worry yourself sick over it, just let your doctor know of your concerns.

Keep well.

• Posted

Greg, what about before your surgery? My daughter has a permanent colostomy since 4 years old She was given first colostomy at like 2 weeks old she kept that till 4 years old and has had one since she is now 23 years she also have a permenant fistual which drains infection a lot so it doesnt stay in her body killing her with ecoli sp? She was born with HD (Hirschsprungs disease) a rare disorder and she lost all her large colon except for one inch to hook colostomy. It was years of nightmares lots of surgiers and ICU stays and then home on health care and feedings of TPN in her port above the heart she has a lot of mucous draing and she gets blood from both fistula and colostomy. Her rectum is closed off. she also had a surgery where she pee out her belly had a vicsotomy sp? so we had a struggle trying to keep her bag on because the urine would cause it to come off the doctor did not fix it where she could be bagged just drained down her little tummy talk about skin break down I even used cow balm. Someone said NO to the vegies brocolli and califloweer now I cook them good and soft is it still a no no I get it from Schwans and they come in like a tv dinner tray and you just bake it before you bake it they look like raw frozen vegiies till i bake it Now i was eating like 3 a week sometimes twice a day. I just got 10 More dinners in freezer so if they are difenitley a no no I got to figure out other things or veggies that I can eat . I forgot to mention I eat hard boiled eggs is that okay? I don't understand how gassy foods causes the infection this whole mess has be at my witts end. But I got to get these infec tions much farther apart.

• Posted

When it comes to diet, I've found everyone to be different . I hope your daughter is better but I can eat any high fiber veggie as long as it's cooked soft enough, it helps to peel broccoli first.

All I can say from my experience is eventually you'll be able to read the signs your body is sending you and will notice when you're having a flair up.

As far as hard boiled eggs go, you will know if they upset your stomach shortly after you eat them.

It's all trial and error so it helps to keep a food diary. Hope I've helped in some way.

• Posted

Hi Crosado8,

I really feel for you as this year I have had a lot of flare-ups, 2 needing antibiotics.

Sometimes it takes a while to settle down after a bad inflammation. My doctor gave me a diet sheet giving information about low, medium and high fibre foods.

I wrote most of it in my entry 2 months ago "The Ultimate Low Fibre diet" hoping to help others.

After a flare I tend to avoid all gassy vegetables, greens, cabbage, broccoli and have mostly potatoes, carrots, fish, chicken, white rice and a good probiotic every day.

If I feel that familiar discomfort I go to low fibre and can sometimes prevent a flare. Then gradually introduce more fibre.

I have totally given up my breakfast "Weetabix" and just have plain cornflakes now.

Yes it is trial and error as everyone is different. I really hope you find a way of controlling your discomfort.

Good luck

• Posted

Do remember that antibiotics will destroy your good bacteria as well as the bad guys. Your digestion is basically dependent on your good flora (your microbiome) so you need to replace good flora by taking probiotics or whatever kind you can tolerate.

A study comparing the effects of 4 different groups of bacteria showed that penicillin affect the gut for about 6 weeks, Cephalasporins for 6 months and the Fluoroquinolones (eg Cipro) for at least a year (the follow-ups stopped after a year!). I can't give the link here but there's loads of info about the gut, microbiome and antibiotics out there.

Antibiotics are life savers, no doubt about it, but the docs always neglect to tell you how to look after your microbiome.

Take care,

• Posted

Hi . Sorry to hear this. I've been like that for the last 3 months. Not always blood but more often with mucus !! Tried antib. But just terrible side effects.seffects.so now I'm taking Slippery Elm. Probiotics and was taking cbd oil. But none has stopped the above probs. So I ask myself should I stop taking them ? Have started slimming club but last 2 days have not eaten as so bloated. Had eating something but don't know what. Wish you better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.