Another newbie and frightened about starting orlistat. Help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all, you seem like a friendly bunch. Am hoping for some advise, I have been struggling with my weight for years, I have pcos and have also been doing slimming world for a year or so, I had lost a stone and a half but it has crept back up. The doctor has just prescribed me orlistat as my weight is affecting other health issues. Thing is I'm so frightened of the 'embarrassing' side affects associated with it, I have to drive 20miles to work each day (no toilets!) and am a nail technician so am with clients most of the day. Also I have to often grab lunch on the run.

Any advise or tips would be very much appreciated as I feel very apprehensive and am confused about what are and arnt good things to eat. The doctors gave me no diet plan or info rolleyes

Thanks guys smile x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

welcome

the best way to start is to have a few days on the low fat diet before you actually start the pills, this lessens the possibility of having the side effects from any fatty foods that may be lurking in your system.

Remember the pills work on FULL fat so you need to be looking at that.

I was advised not to buy any foods that are over 5g's out of 100g's.

Some of us divide our fat allocation up over the day like this:

breakfast: 5g's

Lunch :10g's

Tea :15g's. total 30g's of fat which is most you can take within 24hrs.

Don't usually hit the 5g's or 10g's which gives the option of some snacks during the day/evening.

Most food stuff have a low fat alternative just spend your first couple of shops taking time to read the fat contents of foods.

Green tea is also good to help break up fat, there are flavoured ones and are quite nice. Make sure you drink water enough during the day and remember if you do have a hot beverage with milk you will have to take into account the fat content of the milk.

• Posted

Thank you for the advise, just taken the first tablet (eek) had 2 slices of nimble bread with low fat cottage cheese and chives, just trying to get my head arround staple foods to have in the cupbored. Is tinned spaghetti ok?

I cook lots of home made food which is low fat, but I worry if it's more than say 15g for dinner sad

Well done on your weight loss, did it take you long to get to where u wanted to be? X

• Posted

dont be worried about starting orlistat,they realy are the only way i can loose weight just be careful of your fatty food intake or you will have BAD side effects gud luck !! :D
  • Posted

[quote:3cc593dd00=\"Tonis\"]I cook lots of home made food which is low fat, but I worry if it's more than say 15g for dinner sad

Well done on your weight loss, did it take you long to get to where u wanted to be? X[/quote:3cc593dd00]

You will have to be very careful with the fat intake as you will get the dreaded orange if you don't. You may also find if you get near to the fat intake limit you may get stomach cramps and wind (well I did :oops: ).

As for my loss it took 20mths to loose just over 3 stone, I have been off the tablets for about 6mths, thats included in the 20mths, and am still managing to loose the odd pound here and there. Still finding it very easy to stick to the low fat diet and really can't stomach high fat foods now.

I'm emigrating soon, fingers crossed, and will have to start the whole search for low fat foods again and get used to new foods so thats going to be a challenge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.