Another newbie combinign orlistat with slimming world?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I put my prescription in this morning for my orlistat and am now very nervous about starting taking them.

I am going to cheat a little bit as its my wedding anniversary at the weekend and we have a babysitter and are going out for a curry, so will start taking them on Sunday.

I am currently over 20stone, 5ft9\" and a size 26/28 and so keen to lose weight, will be combining with exercise as well as I am very paranoid about losing weight equalling horrible baggy skin and perhaps looking worse after losing weight.

I really need to do this as I have no confidence at all. I worry that my children could be bullied because theie mum is fat and its time to take control of my life.

Has anyone combined taking orlistat with a slimming world diet? I was wondering if the two combined would help focus, with the weekly weigh ins etc, and just to be aware of the fat content of anything that I may eat?

I think i need a lot of hand holding over the next few weeks and am very concerned about bowel control/leaking as I work full time, ok its in an office but the toilet is a long way from where I sit.

Thanks for any words of advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

if you're going out for a curry may i suggest you perhaps eat as if you're on the tablets for a few days before you actually start taking them, curry is usually high in fat and the tablets may act on whats still in your system, you may be better starting the tablets mon/tues.

i personally haven't combined the tablets with any other diet i.e sw, ww etc but you need to make sure you dont exceed your fat limit on these tablets so even if say you're allowed 'x' of 'y' on a particular day you need to make sure its not more than the fat you're allowed on the tablets (hope that makes sense)

• Posted

hiya, welcome!

Just to echo what sparkles said, you still have to follow the fat allowance no matter what, thats the main thing, otherwise being so far away from the toilet will be an issue - although this should help you stick to it - the fear of having an accident - it does for me, i work full time, only a min away from toilet and i keep a change of clothes on me at all times :oops: lol i had to use them once ---- Never again!!!!

For me i dont like the weighing weekly, it happened in month 3 that i was weighing all the time at my mums house (i dont keep scales at home) made me feel down when i wasnt seeing results which then knocked my confidence, which made me eat more i feel - i did lose that month but decided i wouldnt weigh more than fortnightly just to see im going in right direction smile

I wish you luck smile

Sian

x

• Posted

Hiya

I ate a SW diet before I started on Orlistat, it was very difficult to continue eating like that as the whole plan is different. Eggs for example are 5g of fat for a med size, on SW you can eat as many as you want but if you did on the tablets you would probably have bad side effects!

I decided to bin SW plan itself almost altogether (but just use the odd idea it gave me, quark, pasta dishes, some low fat meals etc - but watch carefully as the overall idea is not the same, some free foods are still fatty) and simply read the fat on the side of packets or google that fat in foods! I have MUCH more freedom, none of this you can only have green or red or extra easy type food.

I also found as long as I stuck to 30 to 40g a day I have no side effects apart from a little wind and the fact I am a lot more 'regular'. No accidents and only one urgentish trip (due to a weekend off and the chip shop - we had visitors :D:D ).

You will have more freedom on the tabs than with SW.

E.G. Lunch - I eat bagels (1g fat), they are very filling by themselves, pop extra light cheese triangles and salad or pickle on them, or the cinnamon bagels with quark and honey or quark, sweetener and strawberries.

The advice above is correct tho, eat for a day or 2 like you are on the tablets as fat may still be in your system from previous meals.

The peeps on here are wonderful and give great advice xxx

Good luck!!

• Posted

One thought on this, as I used to do SW diet is that on that diet you have to have an option every day of either milk or cheese. You should take care with this as if you take this option as anything other than semi skimmed milk it will quickly push your fat limits over for a meal/day.

Good luck!

S x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.